my 18 yo long haired arthritic child(cat?) continues to have dirty litter stuck on one of her back legs.

nanniecat

TCS Member
Adult Cat
Purraise
she is very reluctant to let me try to get it off. and honestly, i dont like to upset her or get bitten by her. she is now using a walk-in litter box. i have tried various litters but she still tracks to my bed. it is not the bed i worry abt. i cant understand why always the same leg. she goes to a groomer monthly for a butt trim(?) and they trim the fur on her paws i thought i had seen a post on this site abt arthritis cats and litter explaining it but i cant find it. i have tried more litter and less litter to no avail i try to get to it as soon as i hear her but i am not home all the time. and i dont know the best and quickest way to get it off. MY BABY NEEDS HELP?

Furballsmom

Cat Devotee
Staff Member
Forum Helper
Purraise
Hi! You could try a combination of different brands of litters, or I like Littermaid's walnut for my boy (if it's available to you) who has the same issues. I'm keeping the litter level extremely low, and he's ok with it fortunately. It seems to help avoid litter sticking to his back legs. Also, litter trap mats or even pee pads right by the litterbox could help.

FeebysOwner

TCS Member
Staff Member
Forum Helper
Purraise
I would try to get a video of what she is doing/how she is positioned while in the litter box - to see if you can at least explain why just one leg. It may or may not help to find a solution, but it's worth considering that it might shed some light on the situation.

Feeby has a certain area she 'insists' on using when peeing in her litterbox, so while she may not get 'stuff' on either of her legs, she will pee the same spot over and over if I don't clean it out in between. That could present an issue if your cat is doing something similar and could explain why it is just one leg.

Is your cat on arthritis supplements? Is her one leg more affected than the other, by chance?

Does she like to be brushed at all? One of the 'glove brushes' might be one way to remove most of the debris from her leg and is sometimes better tolerated than a regular brush.