My 17.5 Year Old Cat Has Ibd Or Small Cell Lymphoma

• Thread Starter Thread Starter

Cara80

TCS Member
Young Cat
Purraise
Right after I posted on Monday, Buddy started having normal formed poops. I haven't seen diarrhea since Sunday and he's still eating well.

I'm not sure what to make of everything, just so many ups and downs and I really hate that we can't get an answer of whether or not this is ibd or cancer :( My vet said we'll know with time, but didn't give a time frame or say more than that.

For now he's staying on the 4mg of prednisolone and will be on a new probiotic. I've ordered ziwipeak lamb canned and also the venison flavor just in case what's going on is a food sensitivity.

Cara80

TCS Member
Young Cat
Purraise
Buddy had another vet appointment today and he has gained the weight back that he lost during the diarrhea episodes this month. His weight was around 9.4lbs, then dropped to 8.9 and now is up to 9.9lbs. I'm really pleased to see he isn't continually losing weight.

He was eating fancy feast salmon pate the past 2 weeks and does well on that, but since it's so high in phosphorous it's not a good choice long term for his kidneys, so i'm now in the process of finding a salmon pate that would be good for both his kidneys and IBD. Thinking of trying Merrick LID salmon.

Overall i'm feeling very hopeful, I know he could still have cancer but after 3 months since ibd/lymphoma symptoms started he's now doing quite well and put on a little weight. I think that's a good sign, i'm assuming cancer would have caused symptom progression and continuing weight loss. The vet said he's doing good and we don't need to see her again for another 3 months

Last edited:

Cara80

TCS Member
Young Cat
Purraise
Buddy is still stable i'm happy to report, he did have a rough day 2 weeks ago and I woke up to him vomiting. I'm not sure what happened, but suspect running out of probiotics could have been the cause. Since then he has been getting forti flora and a tablespoon of pumpkin mixed in his food daily. I'm quite surprised how much of an impact just the pumpkin is having on his overall well being, his appetite is great and he has more energy.

I don't know how much longer he'll be with us if he does have cancer, but for now i'm just trying to make sure he's feeling loved and comforted.

brittpatt

TCS Member
Young Cat
Purraise
I'm so sorry you are going through this. How is he doing? I started buying Best Feline Friend cat food and saw an immediate difference in my cat. There is a lot of broth in the food which sick kitties love.

Just love and have hope. If he still has that much weight I think you still have some more time with your baby.

I did lose a cat to lymphoma and I put her on chemo. It was not worth it. Her last days were with me putting dangerous pills down her throat that made her more sick and I think made her die sooner. That is NOT to say this would be the same situation with your cat, but it was my experience.

Cara80

TCS Member
Young Cat
Purraise
thanks for asking Brittpatt, Buddy is doing good. he sometimes throws up clear liquid in the morning, which I suspect is elevated stomach acid from kidney disease. i'm hoping my vet is willing to prescribe compounded pepcid. Other than that he seems happy and active

Cara80

TCS Member
Young Cat
Purraise
Buddy had a check up today. He's doing good, and gained 8 ounces since his last visit! I'm so happy Buddy is still here with me, he was so sick in March that I wasn't sure if he'd make it to Summer and now Fall is here and he's eating well, hasn't thrown up since late July and doing great considering his age. He'll now be getting an arthritis supplement added to his routine, so that's currently the only change from his last visit.

kittybella

TCS Member
Young Cat
Purraise
Hey Cara80! I'm happy to hear that Buddy is doing well. I know I've been MIA, but I've been having a rough summer all around. I wanted to update you on Sweetie. Well, she is still with us, but I am still having issues with her. Less than a week ago, I thought I would be saying goodbye, but now she is back to how she was prior to this last incident. I just don't get it. The biggest issue I am having with her is daytime nausea with drooling. She is on Cerenia, but I'm concerned that she is having side effects from it. I just don't know. My vet is out of ideas as well. It doesn't seem to matter if I give her a full pill, or half, or a quarter. Oddly, when she was recently sick and wasn't eating, she didn't need the Cerenia as much. It's just so complicated. Her weight is okay, although she does seem a bit bonier lately, but she's coming out of a bad two weeks. She is now back to eating all night long...which is also odd, but better than not eating! She is on 7.5mg of prednisilone daily. She also seems to have motility issues when trying to "go" despite her stool being soft thanks to Mirilax. As a matter of fact it seems as if constipation triggered her near death situation. She would often vomit after trying to "go". It's a long story. Literally on the day that I was going to say goodbye, she made a turn around and perked up. I was shocked. She is also on sub q fluids now, and that may be the reason for the turnaround. Anyway, I wish I could figure out the daytime nausea issue. The Cerenia will keep her from vomiting but not feeling queasy it seems. I read that hypersalivation can be a side effect, and I wonder if that's her deal. There are no other options left to try in this area :( I've tried Pepcid as well, but nothing changed. I will try to skip the Cerenia tomorrow and although I know she'll throw up and feel bad, I need to know if it's the Cerenia causing side effects or what!! This ONLY happens during the daytime. Does cancer have a schedule? It's odd. I feel so bad for her.

Again, happy to hear that Buddy is doing well :-) I will check occasionally for updates! I may start a post about the Cerenia...hmm...

Cara80

TCS Member
Young Cat
Purraise
Hi Kittybella,

Have you tried to figure out if sweetie has allergies? Turns out Buddy is allergic to chicken which is in basically almost all cat foods. I wonder if trying a single protein diet could help her?

kittybella

TCS Member
Young Cat
Purraise
Hi Kittybella,

Have you tried to figure out if sweetie has allergies? Turns out Buddy is allergic to chicken which is in basically almost all cat foods. I wonder if trying a single protein diet could help her?
I tried, and am planning on trying again...but she just won't eat anything that's supposedly good for her :( She has become very picky on top of it all, and I go through so many cans of food hoping I've finally picked a winner.

My vet seems to think the the steroids would take of any issues from a food allergy. She was on 10mg daily for a while, and nothing changed.