My 13 Week Kitten Is Sick

caydeandlunaowner

TCS Member
Kitten
Purraise
hi, I woke up this morning and saw what looked like undigested food in Cayde’s litter box, as well as a small pool of mucus coloured vomit (I assume it was vomit) next to the box. He had diarrhea a couple of times yesterday and again this morning, he’s also making a weird clicking noise with his mouth and licking so I made an appointment with the vet for an hour from now.

In the meantime does anyone have any insight? No change in diet, no home changes, and yesterday he was fine in himself but today won’t eat or drink or play and doesn’t want to be stroked much (unusual for him). He’s also not playing with his sister at all. He keeps crying a lot.

He’s also been sneezing a small amount for the past couple of days and his sister had some yellow sticky gunk in her eye yesterday so I’m wondering if it’s related.

I’m taking both kittens to the vet rather than just him, not sure if I’m meant to but I’m going to. Oh and they’re 13 weeks and fully vaccinated (they had their last injection last week)

Very concerned cat mama here :(

Columbine

TCS Member
Veteran
Purraise
Great that you're taking them both to the vet later. They'll be able to let you know exactly what's going on. My first instinct is either some kind of parasite (giardia, worms etc - kittens are especially prone to these issues), or else some kind of infection. They might have URIs too, something else that's common in kittens (just like human babies, their immune systems aren't as strong as in adult cats).

Sarthur2 Sarthur2 has more experience with kittens than I do. Hopefully she'll chime in soon.

Mega :vibes:that things go ok at the vets, and that whatever's causing this tummy upset is easy to treat :vibes::vibes::vibes::vibes::vibes:

• Thread Starter Thread Starter

caydeandlunaowner

TCS Member
Kitten
Purraise
Update on the little guy-

The vet took his temperature and he had a slight fever, she checked him over and said it doesn’t seem like he’s too unwell so most probably a virus or he ate too much yesterday or ate some human food when I wasn’t looking. She gave me some binding paste to give him twice a day, she said to feed him tiny amounts of plain rice mixed with bio yoghurt and/or cottage cheese and if tomorrow he’s still having diarrhea then to bring him back in for bloods and IV fluids but she said he seemed okay in himself and it would most likely pass!

Sarthur2

Cat lady extraordinaire
Staff Member
Advisor
Purraise
The clicking sound is from the kitten feeling nauseous.

If he won't eat, give unflavored pedialyte with a syringe. Hydration is important. So are electrolytes when dealing with diarrhea and vomiting.

Did the vet think the kittens may have an upper respiratory infection?

Have they been de-wormed?

Please let us know if they get no better or worse. It could be more serious if so.

• Thread Starter Thread Starter

caydeandlunaowner

TCS Member
Kitten
Purraise
The clicking sound is from the kitten feeling nauseous.

If he won't eat, give unflavored pedialyte with a syringe. Hydration is important. So are electrolytes when dealing with diarrhea and vomiting.

Did the vet think the kittens may have an upper respiratory infection?

Have they been de-wormed?

Please let us know if they get no better or worse. It could be more serious if so.

I mentioned the sneezing and the eye gunk and she checked them both over and said there were no signs of it. I told her I cleaned Luna’s eyes with weak saline solution and she said that may have cleared up whatever issue was there as her eyes seemed totally clear and fine today and she said as for the sneezing it could’ve been after I’d sprayed air freshener or something like that, I’m going to be giving the vet another call this evening to update her and make a repeat appointment for tomorrow if needed so I’ll mention it again to her.

They’ve been de-wormed, yep, it was a spot on treatment. They’re due for the next one in a week. She had a feel of his tummy and said it didn’t seem like he had a parasitic infection but she said if by tonight he’s still poorly then tomorrow she’ll take a stool sample.

He’s sleeping at the moment, when he wakes up going to give him a little of the rice and cottage cheese. They have a water fountain that they usually drink from often so I’m gonna move that closer to him and also fill more water bowls and place them all around. If he doesn’t drink I will use your suggestion!