My 1-year old cat suddenly thinks his brother is icky

pixeldexter

TCS Member
Young Cat
Purraise
My tutor is just a cute way of saying my kitty Baxter, who’s always shared everything with his brother Jaxson (food, litter box, sleeping areas, toys), has suddenly decided the litter box that his brother has recently used is off-limits after Jaxson uses it (for pooping).

it sounds like I’m blaming poor innocent Jaxson, but let me backtrack a little: I thought it’d be a good idea to get clean new, larger plastic boxes. While I was at the pet supply store, I saw a quality no dust clumping cat litter brand called Odour Busters (Canadian),multi-cat and wanted to introduce a better quality litter with the good intention to reduce the dusty cloud that the Costco QualitCat litter would produce.

I’ve adopted both kittens when they were 3months old, zero outside the box accidents. Boxes were medium sized, uncovered and I always used the Costco litter.

I gradually introduced the new litter type and thought I did everything correctly. But about two weeks after changing to the new litter, I began noticing entire poops being made right beside the litter box. I scoop twice a day, sometimes three. The culprit was Baxter, and I caught him doing it on using my can I had set up there to observe. I even set up a third box.

I see his behavior is: sniffing the box’s wall, then going to the next, pacing and sometimes making these little frustrated meows because something is not to his liking. He does this if Jaxson has used his favorite box (the middle one) and sometimes will do the right thing and go in another, and sometimes right beside his favorite box but on the wood floor.

I had so far a week’s free days of no incidents, but have been obsessing over keeping the litter clean, to the point where we were washing the boxes more frequently than a week. There’s got to be an easier solution here!