My 1 year old cat is too chonky. Thinking of changing food schedule but don’t want to upset my other cat?

Kayseymac

TCS Member
Young Cat
Purraise
I have a 1 year old cat named Honey. She is a petite cat but I can definitely tell she’s a little overweight. I would either like her to maintain her weight or loose a pound or two. I also have a 5 year old cat named Rufus. He has always been the perfect weight per our vet.

Their current food routine is I leave dry food out all the time and they each get half a can of wet food at night with water added. Honey is not an active cat- I play with her every day and she runs around with her cat brother every day but she gets bored almost immediately. I’ve watched Jackson galaxy videos on how to properly play with a cat but honestly it’s just not her personality to be super active. She loves hunting bugs and stuff though. Sometimes I’ll throw pieces of dry food around the apartment when she goes to snack. She loves to chase them down.

I know it’s the dry food left out 24/7 that’s holding her back. She snacks way more than Rufus. My reason for leaving food out all the time is Rufus. Over the last year he’s had two scary episodes where he randomly stopped eating for several days and just had chronic diarrhea and vomiting during that time. When that’s happened I’ve taken him to the emergency vet and they did many tests and could never figure out what was wrong. The two times that happened just scared me to death and I’m scared if he doesn’t have constant access to food he might stop eating again.

i’m not sure if that’s an irrational fear or not. I am off work now because I don’t work during the summer but during the school year my fiancé and I are usually gone about nine hours a day. I ordered two different puzzle feeders off Amazon and its supposed to get here Saturday. If they do well with it I was thinking about leaving that out with dry food during the day. I don’t know if that will help them to eat less or not? any advice?

Furballsmom

Cat Devotee
Staff Member
Forum Helper
Purraise
Hi as a matter of fact I was going to suggest puzzle feeders or something similar, especially for Honey since she likes chasing the treats that you throw. I'm not sure if you want to use these entirely for the kibble since Rufus might or might not eat as much depending on his aptitude for it and whether Honey goes nuts for these feeders.

What about maybe a microchip activated feeder, or a timed feeder...I'm not completely sure how this would work but if you also increased the canned food, they both wouldn't be relying on the dry so much.

maggie101

3 cats
Top Cat
Purraise
My cats are on scheduled meals 3 times a day.puzzle feeders are mostly so they eat slower so that should help. Do you have wand toys? Since she likes to run around and chase, get her the purrfect leather bouncer and go cat catcher. And I was going to suggest a feeder!

iPappy

TCS Member
Staff Member
Forum Helper
Purraise
If you offered wet food in the morning as well as at night do you think they would eat that and snack less?
The only downside I see to leaving food out for Rufus knowing Honey snacks more than he does is being away from home for 9 hours and not being sure how much of the dry food he actually ate while you were away.
It's always tricky having a gorger and a grazer in the same house! 😵💫

maggie101

3 cats
Top Cat
Purraise
  • Thread Starter Thread Starter

Kayseymac

TCS Member
Young Cat
Purraise
Oh no! Maybe I can find something similar. I have a couple wand toys. She’s funny though. As soon as she hears the toy drawer open she runs over to me all excited but after a second of playing she goes and lays down. She used to chase the wand toys for 10-20 minutes at least but not really anymore. I’ve tried buying different kinds to keep her engaged but she isn’t as interested as she used to be. I think she’s just getting lazier as she leaves the kitten stage :/ I think she was born to be a lazy tabby cat. I just don’t want her overweightness to lead to health issues as she gets older.

maggie101

3 cats
Top Cat
Purraise
After kitten stage they like to hunt so cubes, not tunnels,ripple rug, chew toys,go cat catcher with a mouse. My cat peaches likes me to throw toys and land in shipping trash. I cut holes in a card board box. Maggie loves the sound it makes

iPappy

TCS Member
Staff Member
Forum Helper
Purraise
Oh no! Maybe I can find something similar. I have a couple wand toys. She’s funny though. As soon as she hears the toy drawer open she runs over to me all excited but after a second of playing she goes and lays down. She used to chase the wand toys for 10-20 minutes at least but not really anymore. I’ve tried buying different kinds to keep her engaged but she isn’t as interested as she used to be. I think she’s just getting lazier as she leaves the kitten stage :/ I think she was born to be a lazy tabby cat. I just don’t want her overweightness to lead to health issues as she gets older.
If she's overweight and doesn't play as much, has the vet checked her for diabetes?

• Thread Starter Thread Starter

Kayseymac

TCS Member
Young Cat
Purraise
If she's overweight and doesn't play as much, has the vet checked her for diabetes?
No she hasn’t been, but I’m starting to think she isn’t playing much because she doesn’t like to play when my other cat is around because it intimidates her (he’s always around). I just played with her alone in my room with him locked out and she stayed engaged with me for about 20 minutes. I’m going to try to schedule play times for when her brothers sleeping and see if that makes a difference.

maggie101

3 cats
Top Cat
Purraise
No she hasn’t been, but I’m starting to think she isn’t playing much because she doesn’t like to play when my other cat is around because it intimidates her (he’s always around). I just played with her alone in my room with him locked out and she stayed engaged with me for about 20 minutes. I’m going to try to schedule play times for when her brothers sleeping and see if that makes a difference.
My cats peaches and Maggie will only play with me. Peaches mostly likes to watch. She will play with coco but not Maggie. I think the problem is peaches is small 7pds,Maggie long and slender 9 pds. So size matters