My 1 year old cat is bullying my 7 year old cat.

leahnicole

TCS Member
Kitten
Purraise
Hello!  I am in desperate need of advice or help.  I have had JoJo Kitty now for 7 years and she has always been kind of moody..I adopted Bonnie last year from friend who found her abandoned in a wood pile.  She just turned 1 this year.  JoJo has always been the boss of the house, but about a week ago something changed.  Bonnie has now started bullying JoJo.  She will lay close to the ground and then pounce on her.  I know she isnt playing or trying to play...these are bad fights.  This all started last week when I was going to bed.  Bonnie was laying up beside me and JoJo was in the window and when JoJo came out from behind the blinds it startled Bonnie so much that she attacked Jo.  Ever since then it has been non-stop chaos at my home.  JoJo now looks scared and slinks close to walls and slowly walks around.  Bonnie still runs after her an pounces and claws her.  I have tried yelling loudly "NO!" and get them apart...we have also tried smacking floors and waving a fly swatter. (Bonnie has never liked the fly swatter for some reason) Nothing is working.  I am afraid Jo will get hurt due to her not having claws...something I regret doing to her...and I have vowed never to declaw another cat again...I had no idea what exactly happens when they declaw but now I do.  JoJo Kitty now runs and hides in the basement and smashes herself in the smallest spaces in cabinets down there to get away.  I have tried to coax her out but petting her and talking softly to her..and she does allow me to cuddle her but she is scared to come upstairs.  I put food and water in the cabinet for her.  Today we decided to make our front porch area a little "kitty apartment" for her..we have everything she needs out there but I feel terrible closing her in out there.  This is only going to be for a few days so we can try to introduce her and Bonnie together and try to get them to get along again.  I dont want to have to find a new home for Bonnie since I love her so much but I dont want JoJo to be skittish or get hurt.  Any advice is definately welcome and very much appreciated.  I have been upset about it for over a week and feel terrible for JoJo Kitty.

Ms. Freya

Advisor
Veteran
Purraise
I think closing her in and re-starting introductions is the best thing you can do right now. It may be that Bonnie is just a more aggressive kitty than Jojo, but by restarting you can hopefully get them past that.

I've included a few articles on introducing cats (hopefully some of the tips will help things go smoother)

http://www.thecatsite.com/a/introducing-cats-to-cats

and another on breaking up cat fights:

http://www.thecatsite.com/a/breaking-up-cat-fights

If this is out of the blue, it may also be worth taking your cats for a quick vet check, just to make sure the behavior isn't springing from anything medical.

Best of luck! I'm sure some of our other members will be along soon with more advice.