Muscle Loss In Senior Cats

joyfulrose

TCS Member
Adult Cat
Purraise
Hi all. I was just wondering if anyone has any senior cats with lots of muscle loss/muscle wasting? How much muscle loss is considered normal due to aging? And how much would be considered due to an underlying illness? Also does it occur differently in certain breeds of cats? For example, would a domestic short hair tabby have more muscle wasting than say a maine coon?

FeebysOwner

TCS Member
Staff Member
Forum Helper
Purraise
Hi. Can't help much. I don't think it is very common, and would guess there might be an underlying medical condition. I have heard that hyperthyroid cats can lose muscle mass as they age due to a protein deficiency.

Where is the muscle loss occurring - back legs perhaps? If so, could be attributable to arthritis, and if supplements are taken for the arthritis, the cat can regain some of the lost muscle through more activity once they are not as prohibited with their movement.

How old is your cat? There are a ton of members here who have seen their cats reach ages of up to 20 and even beyond. So, I am sure if they have experienced any issues with muscle loss in their babies, they will let you know. Hope some of them see your post soon and offer some insight.

• Thread Starter Thread Starter

joyfulrose

TCS Member
Adult Cat
Purraise
I will attach a photo but it was kinda all over? the hips and back area, shoulders, a little on the head too but mostly in the hindquarters.

My cat was 17 (unfortunately she passed away a month and two weeks ago :bawling:) I just always wondered if the muscle loss was due to aging or if there was a more serious cause for it. (she was not hyperthyroid though) I had noticed it mainly the last 2 years of her life. She seemed pretty normal despite all of the muscle loss, she still ate and she would still jump up and down from the bed or on to the sink. I was just curious if anyone else had any senior cats who had a lot of muscle wasting as well.. because I have another senior cat who is 16 and she doesn't have as much muscle loss as my other kitty did. Hers is mostly in her back legs and around her shoulders only. She is a different breed though.

Note: This photo was taken about 2 weeks before she passed she had accumulated fluid in the abdomen and had a distended belly here. So the muscle loss stands out a lot more.

Attachments

stephanietx

TCS Member
Veteran
Purraise
I have a 13 year old kitty who has lost some muscle mass. Since you're concerned, I would definitely get to the vet and have a senior blood work panel done to rule out anything medical. Then look at possibly adding some kitten food to your kitty's diet to help with extra nutrients.

joyfulrose

TCS Member
Adult Cat
Purraise
I have a 13 year old kitty who has lost some muscle mass. Since you're concerned, I would definitely get to the vet and have a senior blood work panel done to rule out anything medical. Then look at possibly adding some kitten food to your kitty's diet to help with extra nutrients.
Hi thank you for the reply. Is your cats muscle loss similar to the photo of my cat i uploaded above? My kitty has passed away :( I had blood work done a few times before she passed but never figured out what was causing all the muscle loss. I always thought it was just common as cats age. When she accumulated the fluid in her belly in the last 2 weeks of her life the vets suspected she could have had cancer or fip but it was never confirmed. Her muscle loss started 2 years ago so I'm not sure. Just curious if anyone else had a cat who also had lots of muscle loss?

stephanietx

TCS Member
Veteran
Purraise
No, my kitty has just gotten more lean and from the top, she looks like she's a football with legs. She has really thinned between her tummy and hips/rear legs. Her hips are too bony for my liking, but the vet says she's really at a good weight and healthy for her age.

daftcat75

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
Senior cats need more protein. More digestible protein. It takes probably 6 to 7 oz of quality food (Rad Cat/Rawz) prevent wasting in Krista and 7 to 8 to get her to gain weight after her bouts with IBD and pancreatitis.

Tobermory

“What greater gift than the love of a cat.”
Staff Member
Purraise
My boy Max looked very similar to the photo of your kitty when he died in 2017. He was 20 and diabetic, and we really struggled to keep his weight up. He lost a lot of muscle mass over the last couple of years. Of the cats I lost before Max, only one got as thin and she was 19 when she died. The others lived to between 16 and 18, and none of them lost as much muscle.

Your photo also looks very similar to an elderly cat at the sanctuary where I volunteer. Sunny has cancer, and he looks quite gaunt. Here’s a pic of him.
3C4F5AF6-698C-4681-97F7-5BB4D3D52FB4.jpeg

Like people, cats all age differently. My two 14-year-olds are both quite arthritic, and it’s the first time any of my kitties have shown signs of arthritis this early or to this extent. They’re sisters so it must be a genetic thing for them. I’ve started them on Cosequin, and it’s helped. Max showed signs of serious arthritis only during his last year or so, but that might also have been some diabetic neuropathy.

joyfulrose

TCS Member
Adult Cat
Purraise
I'm so sorry for your loss :( ❤ The photo of sunny does look very similar to my sweet Rosie. Do you know what type of cancer sunny had, if you don't mind me asking? I really regretted not having any xrays or ultrasounds done in the last week. I wish i would have been able to. She declined very quickly in a matter of just a few days. The vets could not help her but they suspected Fip or cancer. I just wish I knew what it really was.

I really struggled to keep my cats weight up as well. She always ate less than all my other cats and not as much as she should so i would sit next to her and feed her several times a day, gave her both wet and dry (but mostly wet), i tried nutrical, treats, Boiled Chicken and it seemed like no matter how much she ate she would never put on any weight. I tried so hard to get her to put on weight, gave her lots of high quality protein hoping it would somehow help her from losing more muscle but it never did. She didnt have hyperthyroidism or diabetes. Her bloodwork only showed pancreatitis.(maybe that was cause for all her issues in the last year?) And she always seemed to have a high wbc too. Which I have read could also indicate cancer, so maybe the vets were right in what they suspected.

My other cat who is 16 has some muscle wasting in the back legs and just a little bit at the shoulders but not nearly as much as my Rosie had :( i suppose its like you said though, every cat ages differently

di and bob

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
Even people lose muscle mass as they age, loss of appetite and loss of activity are two of the culprits. When I notice muscle loss, I always start them on kitten food for the extra calories and nutrition. There are some canned senior liquid supplements out there on Amazon that my senior liked very much too. It is not the time to worry about strict nutrition at a time like this either. Feed what they want and will eat. My Burt lived on bacon and deli chicken for years. There usually is an underlying cause, cancer/tumor being the number one, not unusual in any living elderly being. It is a time to just be there and to offer unconditional love and comfort. My sweet Burt lived for over a year when we thought there was no future at all, he craved attention more than food, and we provided all he wanted.....

Jem

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
I had two cats who experienced significant muscle wasting. One passed at the age of 14, (which was good considering he was not a healthy cat) his wasting was due to hyperthyroid. And it was evenly dispersed all over his body, and even damaged his heart.
My second, passed just recently at 20 years old, his muscle wasting had a lot to do with his kidney disease and I assume age related as well. His was primarily in his hind quarters and spine (that's where it started and was most noticeable), but eventually it progress to other main muscle groups. He also, in his final months, had a distended belly due to fluid retention, as he had developed congestive heart failure. CHF can happen with end stage CKD.
It's hard to really help give you an answer, as there are several things that can cause it. But I would still like to extend my condolences. It's never easy to lose such an important part of your life. And I do hope you're simply seeking information and not playing the "what if" game. You'll drive yourself crazy with guilt, trust me, I've been there. I'm sure you did everything you could have done at the time. Unfortunately, sometimes, it's just not enough. I hope you find peace of mind, and again, I'm sorry for your loss.

FeebysOwner

TCS Member
Staff Member
Forum Helper
Purraise
After reading through the last several posts again, I had kind of 'forgotten' about Tawny's muscle mass. He died at 15 from wet FIP (never really confirmed). He did lose muscle mass, but it was pretty quickly and we assumed it was because FIP was taking it's toll, as he lost interest in eating. Before FIP struck, his body weight and muscle mass were fine.

While Gracie died of cancer (we think lung) at 12, she never really lost much weight or muscle mass - but she was also younger, so maybe that plays a role as well. She just stopped eating nearly anything one day, and died in my home less than a week later.

javannalynn

TCS Member
Alpha Cat
Purraise
Kidney disease also caused muscle wasting. My Theo had both kidney disease and hyperthyroidism. (most cats get it from the thyroid medication) Sadly it was none of the above that finally took him. He became so anemic that his organs started shutting down :(

Tobermory

Staff Member
Purraise
I'm so sorry for your loss :( ❤ The photo of sunny does look very similar to my sweet Rosie. Do you know what type of cancer sunny had, if you don't mind me asking? I really regretted not having any xrays or ultrasounds done in the last week. I wish i would have been able to. She declined very quickly in a matter of just a few days. The vets could not help her but they suspected Fip or cancer. I just wish I knew what it really was.
I’m sorry if my post was confusing! Sunny (pictured) is the elderly cat at the farm sanctuary where I volunteer, and he’s still hanging in there. I don’t know what kind of cancer, but I can feel lumps on his sides. The staff had an ultrasound done, and he has masses internally as well. He’s basically on hospice care: They’re keeping him comfortable and monitoring him closely. He’s also FIV positive, but that doesn’t seem to be a problem at the moment. He loves to be snuggled, and all of the volunteers spend time giving him love.

I’m so sorry about Rosie. They purr their way into our hearts and the silence there hurts when they’re gone.

joyfulrose

TCS Member
Adult Cat
Purraise
I had two cats who experienced significant muscle wasting. One passed at the age of 14, (which was good considering he was not a healthy cat) his wasting was due to hyperthyroid. And it was evenly dispersed all over his body, and even damaged his heart.
My second, passed just recently at 20 years old, his muscle wasting had a lot to do with his kidney disease and I assume age related as well. His was primarily in his hind quarters and spine (that's where it started and was most noticeable), but eventually it progress to other main muscle groups. He also, in his final months, had a distended belly due to fluid retention, as he had developed congestive heart failure. CHF can happen with end stage CKD.
It's hard to really help give you an answer, as there are several things that can cause it. But I would still like to extend my condolences. It's never easy to lose such an important part of your life. And I do hope you're simply seeking information and not playing the "what if" game. You'll drive yourself crazy with guilt, trust me, I've been there. I'm sure you did everything you could have done at the time. Unfortunately, sometimes, it's just not enough. I hope you find peace of mind, and again, I'm sorry for your loss.
I'm so sorry about the cats you have lost :( Sometimes I wonder if what happened to your 20 year old could have been what happened to my Rosie. About 7 months before she passed I had blood work done and it showed mild pancreatitis and slightly elevated bun and creatine- the vet told me my cat had "kidney issues" and it would be best to feed her a senior or renal diet instead of the high protein i was feeding her at the time. So that was what I had done, I tried my very best not to feed anything too high in phosphorus or protein. I found some foods that were neither too high nor too low in protein while still being low phosphorus and Rosie did so well for many many months and she never had any symptoms. One day she suddenly stopped eating though, and I struggled to find something she would eat, so I started giving her the Hills k/d and she seemed to really love it. She ate it for 5 days and was doing really well on it but I started to notice her sitting hunched over sometimes (not alot but every now and then she would sit like that and I don't remember her ever doing that before) I started to do more research about the Hills k/d on tanyas site and I remember reading how you shouldn't switch to a renal diet too early especially if a cat is very thin because of the muscle wasting. I decided I would take her to recheck her blood just to be sure everything was still ok. When I got the results they actually showed her kidneys were fine. Bun and Creatine were normal but the pancreatitis had progressed, she was slightly anemic(non regenerative anemia) and she had some sort of infection. The vet told me it was okay to feed my cat higher protein and high phosphorous cuz he didn't feel her kidneys were failing. He just said to try to feed lower fat if possible because of the pancreatitis and he also gave me antibiotics for the infection. So I started to feed her anything and everything she would eat and as much as she wanted. At the same time I was giving her amoxi drops for 7 days. I started to weigh her to see if she was putting on any weight and at first it seemed like she was. Every time i weighed her her weight went up an oz or 2. I was so happy, I thought I had finally been able to get her to gain some weight and continued feeding her as much as she would eat. She was eating much better than she had ever been eating before(i thought it was because the antibiotics were helping her feel better) but on the last day of her last dose of antibiotics I started noticing that her belly looked swollen and a little distended. It felt kinda hard at first but then it felt like fluid a couple days later. All this time I thought she was gaining weight because she was eating more but it had been fluid that accumulated in her abdomen. She seemed pretty normal despite all that at first but then she started sitting hunched up a lot more several times a day and for long periods of time and she looked like she was having some discomfort. Then she had trouble urinating and seemed to be constipated at the same time. I thought she just had a UTI because i saw her in and out of the litter box several times and she would only produce very small amounts of urine sometimes just drops. She was straining at times too. I saw 2 other vets during that time and one told me she didn't think my cat would make it another month after examining her because her gums were pale, she had pancreatitis, a swollen belly- she felt like she could have fip cuz she tested positive for coronavirus. She didn't believe her trouble urinating was from a UTI. I saw another vet 3 days before she passed and she also said she felt my cat had FIP she said she was "confident this was FIP" because of the fluid in her belly. We had a urinalysis done to see if she had a UTI but the results showed no bacteria, no casts, but there was some protein and inflammation. The vet told me if she starts declining to take my kitty to the ER Vet. And day by day things seemed to get worse. She would urinate and then afterwards she would lay down in her litter box. Sometimes she would try to defecate while laying down on her stomach in the litter box and she would push and push and only very small amount of hard stool would come out. She started to look weaker and weaker day by day. The last day she started urinating on my bed and losing her balance when she would walk. And there was a moment when i was carrying her and she tried to swallow but couldn't and then i felt her go limp in my hands. She felt light as a feather... like only bones. I rushed her to the ER vet thinking maybe the infection was getting worse and she just needed antibiotics but they said they could not help me and told me my cat was dying and that it would be best to put her to sleep because she was suffering a lot. It was never my intention to do so that that night, I thought i would go there and they would give her antibiotics and she would get better but instead they ER vets told me they suspected she had FIP or Cancer and I lost my baby that night and I would never see her again. :(

So I keep thinking, what happened? Was it something I did? Did she have some underlying illness I never knew about? Could it really have been FIP or Cancer? Maybe she did have kidney disease all this time and when I started feeding her the high protein food those last few weeks it progressed faster? I really don't know. I feel like I somehow must have done something wrong. I really felt I could have helped her. It's been a month and 2 weeks now and I'm still just trying to make sense of it all. I wish I knew what happened to my baby those last two weeks. She just started to decline very quickly and I tried so hard to help her. I am so mad at myself though because I should have tried harder and done more, maybe she would still be here with me now. And I wish i could have had the xrays or ultrasound done so I would have a proper diagnosis. But unfortunately now I will never know what this truly was. :(

I guess in a way too I am just trying to get more information to hopefully give me some peace of mind. I keep questioning whether or not I did the right thing that night. And always wondered why she had so much muscle wasting those last two years of her life and why no matter how much she ate her weight never went up. I guess it's possible there was something more serious going on. I'm just so sorry to her that I failed her and was not able to help her get through this. I miss her very much. :(

Last edited:

joyfulrose

TCS Member
Adult Cat
Purraise
After reading through the last several posts again, I had kind of 'forgotten' about Tawny's muscle mass. He died at 15 from wet FIP (never really confirmed). He did lose muscle mass, but it was pretty quickly and we assumed it was because FIP was taking it's toll, as he lost interest in eating. Before FIP struck, his body weight and muscle mass were fine.

While Gracie died of cancer (we think lung) at 12, she never really lost much weight or muscle mass - but she was also younger, so maybe that plays a role as well. She just stopped eating nearly anything one day, and died in my home less than a week later.
I'm so sorry about Tawny and Gracie :( :hearthrob: It's so sad when our pets get these illnesses and there isn't much we can do. Rosie was the first cat I ever lost so it's been really hard for me. I had her since my first day of high school. I just never imagined I would be losing her so soon. I never expected it, everything just happened so suddenly those last 2 weeks.

joyfulrose

TCS Member
Adult Cat
Purraise
Kidney disease also caused muscle wasting. My Theo had both kidney disease and hyperthyroidism. (most cats get it from the thyroid medication) Sadly it was none of the above that finally took him. He became so anemic that his organs started shutting down :(
I'm so sorry about Theo :( My Rosie was mildly anemic 2 weeks before she passed, I wonder if it could have also been part of the reason why she declined so quickly. It just breaks my heart so many of you have gone through similar issues with your cats and also lost them. I'm so sorry. :redheartpump:

joyfulrose

TCS Member
Adult Cat
Purraise
I’m sorry if my post was confusing! Sunny (pictured) is the elderly cat at the farm sanctuary where I volunteer, and he’s still hanging in there. I don’t know what kind of cancer, but I can feel lumps on his sides. The staff had an ultrasound done, and he has masses internally as well. He’s basically on hospice care: They’re keeping him comfortable and monitoring him closely. He’s also FIV positive, but that doesn’t seem to be a problem at the moment. He loves to be snuggled, and all of the volunteers spend time giving him love.

I’m so sorry about Rosie. They purr their way into our hearts and the silence there hurts when they’re gone.
No need to apologize your post was not confusing! I was saying sorry about Max. I hope Sunny continues hanging in there. And I hope everyone continues to shower him with so much love and attention. :hearthrob::redheartpump::hearthrob::redheartpump:

I never felt any lumps or bumps on my Rosie and she tested negative for FIV and FELV but positive for coronavirus so I guess that is why a few of the vets we saw suspected FIP.

You're absolutely right, they purr their way into out hearts and when we lose them we are left with so much pain and hurt and a huge hole in our hearts that can never be filled. We just have to somehow learn to adjust and manage without them.:(

Tobermory

Staff Member
Purraise
No need to apologize your post was not confusing! I was saying sorry about Max. I hope Sunny continues hanging in there. And I hope everyone continues to shower him with so much love and attention. :hearthrob::redheartpump::hearthrob::redheartpump:

I never felt any lumps or bumps on my Rosie and she tested negative for FIV and FELV but positive for coronavirus so I guess that is why a few of the vets we saw suspected FIP.

You're absolutely right, they purr their way into out hearts and when we lose them we are left with so much pain and hurt and a huge hole in our hearts that can never be filled. We just have to somehow learn to adjust and manage without them.:(
Thank you, joyfulrose joyfulrose . Even though it’s been a year and a half, I still miss Max. It still hurts. And like you, there are times when I think, “Should I have done this? Or that?” But every decision I made about Max—about all of my cats over the years—has been made with love and with trying to do the best for them. Just like you did.

One of the valuable things about this forum is that I keep learning ways to better care for my kitties. And I feel surrounded and supported by a host of people who feel as I do. They’re surrounding you, too. :alright: