Muscle Contraction In Foster Kitten's Paw?

Blakeney Green

TCS Member
Super Cat
Purraise
Today my coworkers and I noticed that my foster kitten (Froggy) was having what looked like muscle contraction in his right front paw after I fed him. His middle toes were pulled back so they were contracted shorter than his outer toes. It didn't seem to cause him any discomfort but appeared involuntary. It lasted a few minutes and happened a couple more times, then happened again after his bedtime snack.

Just as background that may or may not be relevant: Froggy is about 6 months old but is very undersized. He has severe megaesophagus and has to be held upright for 20 minutes after he eats, so I don't know if this actually coincides with feeding times or if I'm just noticing it then because he's being held. His only medication is a Convenia injection every couple of weeks. No other symptoms of anything other than what normally goes with his megaesophagus.

Any ideas what could be causing this? (Not asking for a diagnosis, just possibilities.) Because he's a foster I can't just take him to the vet whenever I decide to, but if this is potentially serious I could probably get permission for a visit. Thanks for any insights!

duckpond

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
I dont have ideas, have never seen this. I would try to notice if he has the same issue at other times? Does he eat well, you are able to get enough nutrients in him that it would not be a malnutrition problem?

I would ask and see if i could get permission for a vet visit, hard to tell if it may be causing pain, or something that needs to be addressed otherwise.

Best of luck, and do keep us updated!

Mamanyt1953

Rules my home with an iron paw
Staff Member
Forum Helper
Purraise
In the meantime, you might try very very gently flexing those toes when they contract.

• Thread Starter Thread Starter

Blakeney Green

TCS Member
Super Cat
Purraise
I don't think he's currently malnourished. He was when he came to the shelter, but I've been fostering him for about a month and a half. He eats well for me, and has gained 19 ounces since I've had him.

I think I may have been wrong that it was involuntary. When we were playing today, he would contract each of his toes, and he seemed to be doing it on purpose as part of the game. So maybe he's just a weirdly double jointed cat?

Mamanyt1953

Rules my home with an iron paw
Staff Member
Forum Helper
Purraise
Or at the least, very dexerous! Be careful, that one will be on the sofa with the remote, and you'll be on the floor begging for treats!