Munchkin breeders in Texas

misti

TCS Member
Kitten
Purraise
Hi, I would really love to buy a munchkin kitten or young adult, I am in Texas and I have recently been researching the breed. If anyone out there knows of any breeders in Texas, could you let me know?? Thanks so much!!

shell

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
Misti,
I've been searching for a while on the net, but haven't found very much about this breed. I did find a site that has munchkins available, but they are in Tennessee which is still quite a ways from you. They do deliver their kitties for an additional cost. The site is www.munchkin.net
Just thought I'd share this info with you...
Good luck in your search for a new furball!
-Shell

meezer_mama

TCS Member
Young Cat
Purraise
There is a breeder in the Austin area, but I would not recommend her. I actually just met a couple who adopted a cat from her. The day they drove up, she told them she just had to shoot a littermate b/c it had health problems. She actually just gave them a kitten b/c she didn't think it would live. Oh, but if it did, she wanted to be paid for it. NICE.

This couple took their new kitten to the vet who just happens to have dealt a lot with this woman and her munchkin cats and all the health problems they end up with. He had absolutely nothing nice to say about her. Why? Well, she inbreeds her cats to produce those stumpy little legs that people find so cute. You know, if a cat were meant to have short legs like that - it would. Nature never intended a cat to look like this. When you meddle with genetics you are going to come out with a lot of unhealthy kittens with tons of health problems. Do you really want to spend $300-500 for a kitten that may not live to be two years old?

Do yourself a favor. Adopt a normal cat and stay away from the freaks of nature these monsters are peddling as the latest and greatest.

• Thread Starter Thread Starter

misti

TCS Member
Kitten
Purraise
I had read up one the munchkin breed, and according to sites I read they had been tested for health problems and most seemed just as healthy as a normal cat. Probably the lady breeder you have heard stories about was just a bad breeder and would produce sick kittens no matter what kinds of cat she bred. I have adopted a normal cat and I am the proud momma to "Pontiac" who I found in the hood of a car with on of his eyes hanging out of his head when he was a tiny kitten 5 years ago. I was looking for a companion kitty and thought the little guys were intersting. (even though my one eyed kitty is usually a big hit with visitors :-))I just didn't want you to think I was a shallow person, just out to find the "perfect" kitten. I didn't know they were thought of as "freaks of nature", they just seemed interesting. Thank you so much, though, for the warning on the breeder from Austin, I will take care to avoid her while looking for my newest feline baby.

frannie

TCS Member
Alpha Cat
Purraise
Although I don't post often anymore, I would like to comment about the Munchies. I am a judge in an association that accepts Munchies. They are not and I will repeat they are not a deformed cat. The original Munchie was a barnyard cat. When breeding a Munchie there is no guarantee that all the babies have short legs (not stumpie). I have friends, Sandy and Ken, who breed Munchies and everyone of them is beautiful, loved and well taken care of (their site is www.sandkats.com). I use to think that they were deformed but with many answered questions and with research, I have no doubts anymore that they are not. There are many breeders (of other breeds also) that do not have a reputable reputation (the ones that have bad reps are called backyard breeders) and the ones with a good rep. would not do something like this Austin breeder did. Is there anyway that someone could report this breeder? Anyway, I will probably get lots of you who don't understand but I ask for respect for this breed. BTW, Sandy and Ken recently moved into a new house and do not have their internet up yet so if they don't answer, you will know why.

Frannie

sandie

TCS Member
Veteran
Purraise
I guess I will chalk those comments up to ignorance.
I am sorry, I don't know any breeders in Texas. I am also sad to report that I have yet to meet or talk to another Munchkin breeder that uses the same practices as I do.
The gene that causes the short legs is a natural one. You will find these short legged cats on farms all over the country.
If you find a cattery close to you, I would investigate before you consider buying one of thier kittens. You want to make sure that they havn't or aren't using any other breed for thier program. You also want to make sure that they are kept in good condition, socialized, and not ill in any way.It's always a good idea to know where your kitten is coming from, this way you don't help the backyard breeders, or irresponsible ones continue.

ceehorne

TCS Member
Alpha Cat
Purraise
I was just curious. In one of the previous posts it was mentioned to find a breeder who only uses munchkins in thier breeding. Is that correct. I thought it was okay to use certain other purebred cats to mix with the munchkin. For example I thoght I read somewhere that persians where being used with the munchkin. Is that wrong. What would be wrong with that? Just curious.
Denise

krazy kat2

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
Several years ago, there was a big stink about a woman that was breeding short legged cats that were deformed. Their legs were twisted and it was difficult for them to walk. At the time, someone asked if these were the breed called munchkins, and if I remember correctly, she had used at least one in her breeding program, and her cats were indeed freaks of nature. I think many of them had to be put down due to health problems. Might this be where the breed got a bad rap? It was all over the news at the time, and many breeders and cat people were very upset over it.

imagyne

TCS Member
Veteran
Purraise
okay,
First off, Munchkins ARE natural ie. made by nature. We don't tinker with genes to end up with short legged cats. You can breed 2 short legged munchkins together and still get all long legged cats that don't carry the gene. Since it is a natural mutation the gene cannot be made dominant. Munchkins are healthy cats, not "just as healthy" which intimates that there are some problems with them that are not associated with any other breed. This, of course, depends on the breeder and the breeding program.

The cats that have been refered to in the previous post were called "Twisty Cats", and while it seems that the lady who bred them doesn't do it anymore, there are 1 or 2 that have been given (or sold) W/O being altered.

For those who would like, Sandie or I would be more than happy to answer any questions about the Munchkin, as I would hate to see myths perpetuated about them by people who "think" they know.

Oh, I forgot to add, Munchkin are suppose to be domestics, W/O any traits of any other breed. That does not mean to say that there have not been purebreds used in the breeding program somewhere along the line (we don't) only that the standard (both TICA and AACE) calls for a domestic with no traits of any other specific breed.