Mums cat hates my cat?

kaiteysan

TCS Member
Kitten
Purraise
Hey all :)
My mums cat hates my cat. Everytime Purdy (mums cat) sees Chesh (my cat), she hisses and sometimes growls like a cougar. It sounds absolutely crazy!! Chesh is a bit of a troll and scares Purdy by jumping out at her, which obviously doesn't help the case haha. This thing is, I buy Chesh food without preservatives because of her sensitive stomach, and mum buys Purdy different food. Purd hates the food I get Chesh because mum tried her on it and she wouldn't eat it. The weird thing is, Purdy eats out of Chesh's bowl, sleeps on Chesh's favourite chair and has now started sleeping on my bed?
I figure that if she hates my cat so much, she wouldn't want to be near her scent. I'm really confused about why my mums cat acts like this... Does anyone have any ideas?
Thanks in advance! :)

bad cat chris

TCS Member
Young Cat
Purraise
If they are both female, it is probably a jealosy/ territorial thing. She may be trying to show your cat that she is the boss and can do anything she wants. As far as what to do about it, I am afraid we will have to wait until someone wiser than me comes along.

katluver4life

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
Hello

How long since they were introduced to each other? Has there been any real fighting between them? If not, then hissing and a bit of growling is ok. They are learning each others boundaries and actually seem, by what you say, to be getting along ok.

• Thread Starter Thread Starter

kaiteysan

TCS Member
Kitten
Purraise
I adopted Chesh from the pound over a year ago. (Probably about 18 months). We've moved out twice, but have come back. She's great at adjusting as long as we are together. I'm a bit the same lol.
They are indeed both female, and have known each other for the majority of those 18 months. They never seen to get used to one another. Chesh seems to want to play when she leaps out, but Purdy is in fact quite skiddish. I really would like for them to get along and I think Purdy could use a companion. She seems a bit lonely. They are polar opposites I would say.
I do sometimes hear that they have a scuffle every now any then, but they usually avoid each other like the plague - which is why I find it so odd :)

katluver4life

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
Moving in and out repeatedly is probably causing Purdy a lot of stress. She was used to being alone, then this new kitty comes in, and although Chesh is fine with it, Purdy is not. Then Chesh is gone, then comes back.

How do you reintroduce them when you return? Do you do introductions or just let them mix together as soon as you move back? Even though you think they should be well acquainted by now, Purdy feels like it is an intrusion in her territory. It is always best to do slow introductions so each cat feels safe before allowing them to roam the house together. I would probably go back a step and start fresh with them. Here's an article on introductions: http://www.thecatsite.com/a/introducing-cats-to-cats. This should help Purdy adjust to your cat being around. Hope this helps. Keep us posted.

• Thread Starter Thread Starter

kaiteysan

TCS Member
Kitten
Purraise
Ah yes of course. Unfortunately I couldn't take the time to introduce them again slowly as I was under a lot if stress myself.
I will certainly read the article, thank you.
I hope this helps :) I'd really live to see them getting along for once.