Mumma cat won't use litter box after having kittens

Unusual1

TCS Member
Kitten
Purraise
Hi,

So mumma cat won't use the litter tray now after having the kittens a week ago, vet has checked her and kittens out and they are all healthy, mum has no infections.

But kitten box is by the litter box, I did read somewhere that mum won't pee or poo near her kittens because of predators.

Someone suggested I move the litter box, another said to move the kitten box.

Picture of mum with kittens below
IMG_20240422_065721.jpg

fionasmom

Staff Member
Purraise
In the wild, cat poop will attract predators. The popular advice for finding a lost pet cat which suggests putting the litter box outside will cause the same thing to happen...more coyotes or raccoons might stop by than the cat who is lost.

My experience is with feral kittens and moms, but I have never found cat poop near the place where the kittens were.

Is it possible to move the litter box where the mom can still find it, but far enough away from the kittens? I would try that as a first step to see what happens.

Such a pretty mom and kittens!

• Thread Starter Thread Starter

Unusual1

TCS Member
Kitten
Purraise
In the wild, cat poop will attract predators. The popular advice for finding a lost pet cat which suggests putting the litter box outside will cause the same thing to happen...more coyotes or raccoons might stop by than the cat who is lost.

My experience is with feral kittens and moms, but I have never found cat poop near the place where the kittens were.

Is it possible to move the litter box where the mom can still find it, but far enough away from the kittens? I would try that as a first step to see what happens.

Such a pretty mom and kittens!
Thank you, would you suggest I keep it in the room or move the litter box out of the room?

FeebysOwner

TCS Member
Staff Member
Forum Helper
Purraise
I would move it away as far as possible, but make sure momma knows where it is at. You could also add an additional; box outside the room too, but again make sure she knows where it is.

I presume the kittens' litter box is non-clumping and maybe momma doesn't like that?

Sarthur2

Cat lady extraordinaire
Staff Member
Advisor
Purraise
So where is mom going if she won’t use the nearby litter box? One week old kittens do not need a litter box.

I suggest that you move mom’s litter box across the room from where she is with the kittens. That should suffice unless you tell us mom is going potty elsewhere.

Unusual1

TCS Member
Kitten
Purraise
I would move it away as far as possible, but make sure momma knows where it is at. You could also add an additional; box outside the room too, but again make sure she knows where it is.

I presume the kittens' litter box is non-clumping and maybe momma doesn't like that?
It is clumping litter and I've not changed it since I've had her

Unusual1

TCS Member
Kitten
Purraise
So where is mom going if she won’t use the nearby litter box? One week old kittens do not need a litter box.

I suggest that you move mom’s litter box across the room from where she is with the kittens. That should suffice unless you tell us mom is going potty elsewhere.
She is doing it downstairs in the corner of our living room.

But I will try and move it in my room and see if that helps

Unusual1

TCS Member
Kitten
Purraise
Can you add a 2nd litter box downstairs where she has been going at?
I wish we could but if we do that the dog will eat the litter as well as the poo