Mum, The Water Bowl is Empty

piano cat

TCS Member
Alpha Cat
Purraise
As I exited the bedroom Andy bounced from his bed by the window, over our bed, down to the floor, over to the water bowl and sat looking me right in the eye. Andy usually takes cover when the dog and I are bustling to go out so this behaviour caught my eye. All three upstairs water bowls were empty. Cat communiciation. :)

bobkater

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
Andy did well to point out his empty water bowl, because drinking enough water is essential for cat kidney health. So he was trying to save you a lot of future vet bills.

cmshap

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
Andy did well to point out his empty water bowl, because drinking enough water is essential for cat kidney health. So he was trying to save you a lot of future vet bills.
That's another reason I don't use water fountains. One is that I don't like cleaning them, but the other is that I'm paranoid about them shutting off when I'm not home.

Back when I was using them, I didn't think of that until I read a story about a cat who went without water for multiple days because a fountain failed. So I started using a backup water bowl in addition to the fountain, and then I just decided not to bother with the fountain.

Cat McCannon

TCS Member
Super Cat
Purraise
The fountain we use spills into a bowl. Water is always available, even if the fountain quits.

catloverfromwayback

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
Yes, our fountain has a deep bowl, and I have a small bowl in my room. The fountain failing wouldn't leave them without water - but then I won't ever be away for days unless I'm in hospital, which would mean a lot of emergency care being arranged all round.