Mum Cat Pooing Outside Of Litter Tray

FurryTails100

TCS Member
Kitten
Purraise
Hi,

My 2 year old girl had a litter of three kittens who are now just over 9 weeks old.

In the last two weeks she has been pooping next to the litter tray and weeing in the litter tray.

She is still in a room with her kittens, but they are no longer dependent on her.

I thought it may be her way of telling me that she doesn't want to be with them anymore, so i separated them but she still pooped outside of her litter tray and she seems to want to be in the same room as them.

I have tried setting up two litter trays in case she doesnt want to share one with her kittens, with no luck.

Has anyone experienced this before?

Thanks

talkingpeanut

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
I would add several more litter boxes. They might not be clean enough for her liking.

Does she seem to have an upset stomach?

Do you need help finding a low cost spay/neuter clinic in your area? They are all old enough now.

Sarthur2

Cat lady extraordinaire
Staff Member
Advisor
Purraise
I agree with adding more litter boxes. Has the litter brand changed? Do you scoop daily? Are her poops solid - no diarrhea?

Mummacat123

TCS Member
Young Cat
Purraise
You should have one litter tray per cat/kitten plus an extra. And some tips... You can go to a warehouse etc and actually find containers that look like litter boxes but are cheaper. also depending on what you are using for litter newspaper with just a sprinkle/handful of litter in each works for most cats, you don't have to spend a rediculous amount filling each according to the instructions.

Sometimes the cat is wanting a bigger dirt box but definitely sounds like you don't have enough so I'd start with that.

My semi wild mother cat won't use the dirt boxes...she is incredibly frustrating in that regard...you can get carpet samples free from a carpet store...I use this to protect my carpet and just chuck them as needed.