Multiple issues. Guidance appreciated

mrsty

TCS Member
Adult Cat
Purraise
Yes sometimes when a cat has been vomiting a lot they get so hungry they gobble up too much too fast. The cat I had that vomited frequently - I used to try and give her smaller amounts spread out after she'd had a bout with it. Sometimes it helped, but an allergic reaction is not going to make that be an answer.

mrsgreenjeens

Every Life Should Have Nine Cats
Staff Member
Advisor
Purraise
Just a reminder, the original post was from almost two years ago

k2kitties

TCS Member
Kitten
Purraise
I am reading a book right now by Dusty Rainbolt, called "Cat Scene Investigator: Solve Your Cat's Litter Box Mystery". I have not finished the book yet, but Dusty provides some fantastic information on why cats do what they do surrounding urination and defecation, inappropriate marking, problems, medical issues, etc. She did a TON of research writing this book, and added in a nice sense of humor which makes reading about litter box problems (ewww) fun.

As for the vomiting. My cats vomit up their food all the time. I have a mobile vet who visits us at home, so I don't have to put the family through any stress dragging cats to the vet. Anyway, she suggested that cats sometimes react to the SHAPE of dry cat food! I had never even heard of this. Well, darned if I didn't try a new food, of a different shape than the one I was feeding, and VOILA! not as much vomiting. I won't say that it has stopped altogether, but she might be on to something. She also said certain flavors will do this. My cats don't vomit hours after eating... it is pretty much immediate. I call it "regurgitation" because it's as if they are protesting, "I don't like this food! Bleeaaaa!" lol

Just my two cents. It sounds to me like the urinary issues are more behavioral than medical, in my personal opinion.

Good luck!

Kathy

young again

TCS Member
Young Cat
Purraise

I

As for the vomiting. My cats vomit up their food all the time. I have a mobile vet who visits us at home, so I don't have to put the family through any stress dragging cats to the vet. Anyway, she suggested that cats sometimes react to the SHAPE of dry cat food! I had never even heard of this. Well, darned if I didn't try a new food, of a different shape than the one I was feeding, and VOILA! not as much vomiting. I won't say that it has stopped altogether, but she might be on to something. She also said certain flavors will do this. My cats don't vomit hours after eating... it is pretty much immediate. I call it "regurgitation" because it's as if they are protesting, "I don't like this food! Bleeaaaa!" lol
Interesting on the shape of the food and vomiting. I had never considered that one before.

Here are a couple of other suggestions you might find helpful. When my cats vomit whole pieces of food I can usually trace it back to one of two things. The first: is I let the bowels of food get to close to empty and my Maine Coon gets worried that one of the other cats will eat what is left before he can, so he tries to polish of whats left. Of course it is always more than he can eat, but in the meantime he has filled his stomach completely full. Now the food adsorbs some moisture and swells just enough that he feels over full and he vomits some of the whole food back up. Try keeping the bowls full and see if that helps.

The other times that I see vomiting is a hair ball. If I see vomit that has some whole kibble in it and some syrup and the bowls are full I always suspect a hair ball. I give him some Vaseline for a couple of days and up comes a big hair ball. My guy hates to be brushed and is big enough to say no, so hairballs are common and come up about every 6 weeks. Two of my cats love to lick the Vaseline off my finger, but the other does not. She even hates the store bought preparations with sugar and flavor. Instead I rub a dab on the front of her front leg just above the paw. She is not very appreciative of this and will quickly clean herself and in the process receives her dose of Vaseline.