Multiple cats - share a toothbrush or each get their own?

Adelei

TCS Member
Young Cat
Purraise
OK, this is possibly a crazy question, because obviously it would be gross for us to share our toothbrushes with someone or have our human children share a toothbrush.... but I mean, these are cats. They share food & water and I've even seen them eat each other's barf (while I'm running crazily towards them with cleaning supplies in my hands and yelling to stop!) So I don't think they're too worried about sharing germs. That being said, I am. I don't want to do anything unsafe for them. So is it better for them to each have their own toothbrush or is it fine to share a toothbrush? I have 4 cats, btw.

Furballsmom

Cat Devotee
Staff Member
Forum Helper
Purraise
I personally think it would be better for each to have their own, but with that said, I'd be interested in what a vet would say :)

LTS3

TCS Member
Veteran
Purraise
I use separate tooth brushes for my cats. One uses tartar control toothpaste and the other cat oddly has a reaction to that toothpaste. I marked the tartar control toothpaste with colored tape so I can tell which brush is for which cat.

It won't hurt to use the same brush for both cats but if germs make a you queasy, use separate brushes. Obviously if one has a cold or something potentially contagious, use separate brushes.