Multicat Household Problems/out Of The Box Urination

kkbats93

TCS Member
Kitten
Purraise
Hey everyone, hoping I can get some advice here.
In October of 2016, we adopted 2 kittens both were 8-9 weeks old.. First, we adopted Iggy from a shelter. She appears to be a Somali. About a week later, we adopted Hank from some people who just had kittens. He's a black and white tuxedo. They were best friends. Always cuddling and sleeping by each other. Iggy was fixed at the shelter. Hank was not fixed and we soon discovered he had fleas. We got him fixed at the vet, and both updated on flea medication. Everything was going fine. In April of 2017, we decided to add another cat to our family. We found Jaxon at a rescue/foster center, he was 3 years old. They were hesitant about us adopting him, because he was previously adopted and returned because he didn't get along with that owners 2 make cats. He was so loving towards us, I felt like he was picking me. We brought him into our home in a cat carrier, left him inside it for maybe 20 minutes so the other cats could smell him a bit and then we let him out to roam. We could've done better at a slow introduction but we were naive. He seemed to adjust well into the family, however he was always very skittish and hide all the time. After a week of two, we began to notice Jaxon and Iggy fighting. Jaxon and Hank would also fight but Hank fought back, while Iggy is more of the run and hiss type.He seemed to be blocking her from accessing the litter boxes, staring at her, cornering her. And Iggy began to pee in inappropriate places. Piles of clothes that werent taken care of, the couch, my bed. Jaxon never seemed to be comfortable here, he always acted like he was afraid of everything and in general didn't seem happy here. We spoke with the foster care/rescue that we got him from, and we all decided it would be best for him to go back with them and they would find him a foster home until he could be adopted again by a family with no other cats. We bought a new mattress, and a new couch, hoping that if we got the stained furniture out of our house, she wouldnt be able to smell the old pee and wouldn't think she needed to pee there. However, the peeing on the couch still continued. It's always the same spot of the couch, in between the cushions. She has done this in front of me, while I'm sitting on the couch. I don't punish her, I just shoo her off, and take her directly to the litter box. With this problem continuing, we took Iggy to the vet and the vet said he wanted to try prescription Ovaban for her, that long haired cats are normally more temperamental than others. Ovaban is birth control for cats. It's said to help with behavioral issues as well. The Ovaban seemed to help a little bit. But without Jaxon in the house, Iggy and Hank's relationship became tense and now he treats Iggy how Jaxon did. He tries to be the alpha of the house, grooming her, and she doesn't like it. Hank will go after her while she's in the litter box. He constantly stares at her as she moves around the house. We decided to take Hank to the vet to see if that could give us any answers. The vet wanted us to try Ovaban for Hank too. After about 2 months of this, and no new pees outside the litter box, Iggy has done it again. Twice yesterday, in two different spots of the couch. We've tried several different cleaners, bissell, nature's miracle. The smell goes away, but the peeing continues. The vet said if it continues, he will want to do blood work. We aren't in a financial position to be able to afford to have bloodwork done. I'm not a vet, but I think it's a behavioral issue and not anything medical, because it's always in the same place on the couch and not all over the house. We love the cats and just want the peeing to stop. Any advice would be greatly appreciated.
Extra thoughts- We have 3 litter boxes in separate areas of the house, none of them have hoods, and they all have clear view points around them. Iggy eats at a raised location, we have cat trees, access to windows, several scratching posts/boards, toys. Iggy and I have a great bond, she sleeps right next to me every night, and wants attention as soon as I get home. She doesnt want attention from anyone else in the house. Sometimes, I've wondered if she has seperation anxiety when I'm gone, and that added with the stress of Hank going after her, is causing her to urinate on the couch. I have a 6 year old who is always here, and 3 step kids who are here half the time, that have cats and dogs at their mothers. Could also be a cause of stress?

Furballsmom

Cat Devotee
Staff Member
Forum Helper
Purraise
Hi!
I don't think the others are causing her stress. I mean, they might be a little, but she was fine before.

I would set up a room just for her, with several boxes and her things, cover anything you can't move with tarp or already opened shower curtains ( that aren't emitting fumes any longer).

Use some Cat Attract litter, and some music. There's an app called Relax My Cat and there is also MusicForCats . com

When she's using boxes consistently, see if something here might help;

How To Fix An Unsuccessful Cat Introduction

How To Successfully Introduce Cats: The Ultimate Guide

• Thread Starter Thread Starter

kkbats93

TCS Member
Kitten
Purraise
Thank you!
We've been talking about seperating the two of them while we're gone. My concern with that is, would it make the situation worse when we let them roam together, or at night when we sleep?Maybe trying to do a reintroduction would help?

Furballsmom

Cat Devotee
Staff Member
Forum Helper
Purraise
Keep her completely separated until she's using the boxes consistently.

Then when she's reunited with her boxes :) try a reintroduction to the rest of the house/other cat.

calicosrspecial

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
I would really work on building her confidence up. So I would really step up play. Really good play, hunt and pounce and repeat. And after a good play session feed either treats or a meal.

I would also do scent sqapping eventually associating his scent with good things like eating/food, being loved, etc. Again, building that positive association with his scent and good things (and I would also do the same with Hank). Play to build confidence and positive association (first with scent and eventually with sight).

Building confidence is incredibly important as I believe a confident cat is less likely to attack or be attacked (and therefore they don't feel territorially insecure and therefore don't need to mark or "claim" territory by peeing). We build confidence through play, food, height and love. We mentioned play and food (and positive associations using food), you mention you have cat trees for height. And love is anything to get them feeling comfortable and secure. Getting them to purr is great IF you can do it safely without being at risk of being hurt.

Cats take on our emotions so being as calm and confident around the cats is very important. The way you handled the situation in front of you eyes was excellent. Cats do not want to go outside of the litter box it is because they are so insecure and so fearful that they feel like they have to to defend their territory and their safety. So understanding why it happened helps us humans accept the situation and do the things to make it better.

Eventually when she is given more territory (access to the couch etc) I would do the confidence building in the area (the couch) where she is peeing. So play, food and love.

And any interaction they may have (for now through scent and eventually through sight) should be as positive as possible using distraction to defuse any anxiety or potential negative encounter.

It could be the couch still has the scent of the other cat. An enzymatic cleaner is very important to use but sometimes the scent gets really deep and is hard to remove sadly. But with more confidence and positive encounters (ie no attacks or anything negative around that area) Iggy should accept the remaining scent in time.

Is the couch against an outside wall or a window to the outside?

Don't worry, you are in good hands and we'll help you get through this. This is a common situation and it totally can be solved with effort and the correct actions. It sounds like we have both in this situation.

Please feel free to post or ask anything anytime and we'll be able to help you through this.