Multi Cat Home. Flea Treatment Time.

LindsayErin

TCS Member
Kitten
Purraise
I use to have only two cats. It was much easier to give them their monthly flea medication. I have recently gotten my cat home to eight.

It is time for all eight to get their monthly treatment for the first time altogether. I would like to know what would be the best or easier way of doing this? And also how long does it take for the flea medication to dry? I am using advantage.

Should I do them all at once in one room? Split them into two rooms, to have multiple eyes on them and less playing and possible licking of each others medicine. Or should I do one and wait for medicine to dry and then do the next cat and repeat?

Columbine

TCS Member
Veteran
Purraise
Hi, and welcome to TCS :hithere::welcomesign:

I would just do all 8 cats at once, wherever they happen to be. I've never had a problem with one cat licking another's flea treatment spot, and I have a very bonded pair of brothers who groom each other a lot.

If you're worried about them playing when it's still wet, pick a time when they're sleepy or give them all a good play session beforehand to encourage them to sleep whilst it dries.

kleigh300

TCS Member
Kitten
Purraise
I use to have only two cats. It was much easier to give them their monthly flea medication. I have recently gotten my cat home to eight.

It is time for all eight to get their monthly treatment for the first time altogether. I would like to know what would be the best or easier way of doing this? And also how long does it take for the flea medication to dry? I am using advantage.

Should I do them all at once in one room? Split them into two rooms, to have multiple eyes on them and less playing and possible licking of each others medicine. Or should I do one and wait for medicine to dry and then do the next cat and repeat?

OMG, they are all so great! I have a house of 6 (used to be 7) so I know how difficult things like this can be. If it was me, I would opt for your last suggestion of doing one and waiting for the medicine to dry and then do the next cat and repeat. Especially since the majority of your household is kittens. Always be cautious with kittens. They're reminding me when 4 of mine were little like these adorable critters. They are so much fun at this age. Too cute!!!
:dizzycat:

• Thread Starter Thread Starter

LindsayErin

TCS Member
Kitten
Purraise
OMG, they are all so great! I have a house of 6 (used to be 7) so I know how difficult things like this can be. If it was me, I would opt for your last suggestion of doing one and waiting for the medicine to dry and then do the next cat and repeat. Especially since the majority of your household is kittens. Always be cautious with kittens. They're reminding me when 4 of mine were little like these adorable critters. They are so much fun at this age. Too cute!!!
:dizzycat:

Thanks so much for the reply. The first two I saved from a very bad home/situation. The middle four I found on the side of the road, while I was in the process of adopting the last two and I just couldn’t leave them there so I ended up with eight. :D

I was thinking maybe the last suggestion would be best too because they are very playful and always messing around with eachother and I worry they will lick some of the medication off eachother. I just can not get a good answer as to how long it takes for the medicine to dry and would be safe for them to be near eachother without worry of them biting or licking eachother. I have heard 30 mins and a few hrs. So I don’t know.

LindsayErin

TCS Member
Kitten
Purraise
Hi, and welcome to TCS :hithere::welcomesign:

I would just do all 8 cats at once, wherever they happen to be. I've never had a problem with one cat licking another's flea treatment spot, and I have a very bonded pair of brothers who groom each other a lot.

If you're worried about them playing when it's still wet, pick a time when they're sleepy or give them all a good play session beforehand to encourage them to sleep whilst it dries.

Thanks for the reply. It didn’t even cross my mind to try when they were tired or tire them out before hand. ‍♀

kleigh300

TCS Member
Kitten
Purraise
Thanks so much for the reply. The first two I saved from a very bad home/situation. The middle four I found on the side of the road, while I was in the process of adopting the last two and I just couldn’t leave them there so I ended up with eight. :D

I was thinking maybe the last suggestion would be best too because they are very playful and always messing around with eachother and I worry they will lick some of the medication off eachother. I just can not get a good answer as to how long it takes for the medicine to dry and would be safe for them to be near eachother without worry of them biting or licking eachother. I have heard 30 mins and a few hrs. So I don’t know.
Have you tried chat/email/phone with the manufacturer? They are your best source. I also like the suggestion that Columbine suggested "pick a time when they're sleepy or give them all a good play session beforehand to encourage them to sleep whilst it dries."
What a great outcome you have provided for all those adorable kitties. They are lucky to have you. I hope you find loving homes for all of them. I opened my home to a feral mom to give birth and ended up with all 4 as my own. It was hard to let them go. LOL :lol::catlove:

LindsayErin

TCS Member
Kitten
Purraise
No I have not tried that either. I will try that and see what happens. Thanks.

Lol. Yeah, these little babies will probably stay put here as well. I have already gotten so attached.

Kieka

Snowshoe Servant
Staff Member
Forum Helper
Purraise
I only have three but I have to do Rocket first (she skitters off as soon as she smells it), then Link (who comes to check on Rocket and once he realizes what happened will hide himself) and finally Fury (who is the mellowest of the bunch). The smell of the product is enough to keep anyone from trying to lick another until it dries in our house. I usually do it just before bed and it is dry by morning.