Mr Snuggles Tested Positive for FIV and FeLV.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Kenny_T

TCS Member
Young Cat
Purraise
Sad day 😞 our Mr. Snuggles has been losing weight and staying in the garage. Took him and had him checked out, bloodwork confirms FIV (feline immunodeficiency virus) and FELV (feline leukemia virus) both incurable and contagious. Only options are find him somewhere where he could be a single cat home or euthanasia. I’m a mess he’s only seven. I promised him i wont let him suffer he’s too precious but i feel like a piece of crap because i also have 6 other cats to consider one of whom is his sister. 😭

Attachments

nurseangel

TCS Member
Veteran
Purraise
I am not really in a position to give advice on whether to have him PTS, but we have been through both illnesses with two different cats. I am so sorry you are in this situation. It's a lot to take into consideration. I think it is okay for me to speak for the TCS community in saying we are here for you. :hugs:

Norachan

Staff Member
Purraise
Have the other cats been living with him up to now? They will have already been exposed to both virus, so I suggest you get them blood tested too. If they've already been infected there's no need to re-home or euthanise him.

I've had FIV + cats living with my other cats for years and they're none the worse for it. The virus isn't spread that easily between cats that are all spayed and neutered and get on well together.

I don't have any experience of FeLV though.

How is he doing? Does he seem really unwell now?

di and bob

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
My cats all ahve FeLV, one was diagnosed and predicted to die 'within days'. He had lost over 1/2 his body weight and was too weak to stand. That was almost 5 years ago! I never had my others tested but just figure they have it too. I too believe they don't spread it as easily as they think if tehy don't fight or mate. He lived on a few licks of Delectable Lickables in the stew flavors a day, and they all still get it daily with their meds, once a day. I recommend getting DMG, an immune supplement that strengthens their immune systems, that is what you have to watch, they get deathly sick with every little bacteria and virus. I keep them strictly indoors now and wash my hands everytime I handle something from the outside cats. Since yours is diagnosed, I give LifeGold, a supplement for cancers in cats. Both will cost you around a hundred dolalrs total, but last a long time. You just give drops and 1/2 a mil. They are online at Amazon, Target, and Walmart. I will keep you and your sweet boy in my prayers......

• Thread Starter Thread Starter

Kenny_T

TCS Member
Young Cat
Purraise
I am not really in a position to give advice on whether to have him PTS, but we have been through both illnesses with two different cats. I am so sorry you are in this situation. It's a lot to take into consideration. I think it is okay for me to speak for the TCS community in saying we are here for you. :hugs:
Thank You 🙏

Kenny_T

TCS Member
Young Cat
Purraise
Have the other cats been living with him up to now? They will have already been exposed to both virus, so I suggest you get them blood tested too. If they've already been infected there's no need to re-home or euthanise him.

I've had FIV + cats living with my other cats for years and they're none the worse for it. The virus isn't spread that easily between cats that are all spayed and neutered and get on well together.

I don't have any experience of FeLV though.

How is he doing? Does he seem really unwell now?
Thank you 🙏 yes him, his sister and 2 of her kids live in the garage they are family and they all get along well. He just seems tired he just wants to lie down. He is eating.

Kenny_T

TCS Member
Young Cat
Purraise
My cats all ahve FeLV, one was diagnosed and predicted to die 'within days'. He had lost over 1/2 his body weight and was too weak to stand. That was almost 5 years ago! I never had my others tested but just figure they have it too. I too believe they don't spread it as easily as they think if tehy don't fight or mate. He lived on a few licks of Delectable Lickables in the stew flavors a day, and they all still get it daily with their meds, once a day. I recommend getting DMG, an immune supplement that strengthens their immune systems, that is what you have to watch, they get deathly sick with every little bacteria and virus. I keep them strictly indoors now and wash my hands everytime I handle something from the outside cats. Since yours is diagnosed, I give LifeGold, a supplement for cancers in cats. Both will cost you around a hundred dolalrs total, but last a long time. You just give drops and 1/2 a mil. They are online at Amazon, Target, and Walmart. I will keep you and your sweet boy in my prayers......
We have to go talk to the vet tomorrow about what treatment is available for Nuggs. He’s not in pain and still has words to say to me lol Thank you for the info and prayers.

Norachan

Staff Member
Purraise
Thank you 🙏 yes him, his sister and 2 of her kids live in the garage they are family and they all get along well. He just seems tired he just wants to lie down. He is eating.
As they've all been living together they've already been exposed. I don't think there's any need to think about keeping him apart from the others.

Please let us know what your vet says about treatment and supplements. My FIV+ girl, who the vet told me probably wouldn't live to her second birthday, lived until she was nearly 7. Good food and proper care will make a world of difference.

:hugs:

Kenny_T

TCS Member
Young Cat
Purraise
As they've all been living together they've already been exposed. I don't think there's any need to think about keeping him apart from the others.

Please let us know what your vet says about treatment and supplements. My FIV+ girl, who the vet told me probably wouldn't live to her second birthday, lived until she was nearly 7. Good food and proper care will make a world of difference.

:hugs:
Sad day 😞 our Mr. Snuggles has been losing weight and staying in the garage. Took him and had him checked out, bloodwork confirms FIV (feline immunodeficiency virus) and FELV (feline leukemia virus) both incurable and contagious. Only options are find him somewhere where he could be a single cat home or euthanasia. I’m a mess he’s only seven. I promised him i wont let him suffer he’s too precious but i feel like a piece of crap because i also have 6 other cats to consider one of whom is his sister. 😭
We have decided to carry on as usual Nuggs is an awesome guy and i cant put him down. He comes in the house and doesn't want to go back out, we let him stay in but he has to go out as we don't want to traumatize his sister.

Attachments

Norachan

Staff Member
Purraise
He's so cute! I don't think there is any need to put a cat down if they still have a good quality of life. You might need to help him pass if he gets very sick at sometime in the future, but for now he's enjoying life with you.

Will his sister come indoors with him?

Kenny_T

TCS Member
Young Cat
Purraise
I brought his sister in, they said hi and she then went off and looked around a bit, he followed her she got a little overwhelmed as we have two of her kids in the house and Kitty who is territorial and wants everyone to know it’s his house so he hissed at her and ran off, the 2 kids and nuggz were following her. So she ran off and hid for hours. Finally I heard her meow went to her and she hissed and growled at me but let me pick her up and she started purring. I held her and sat on the couch and Snuggz came and climbed up and cleaned his sister. So she can come in but her other 2 kids are outside too. Such a quandry.

Kenny_T

TCS Member
Young Cat
Purraise
So the latest;
Snuggles is doing ok he comes in and spends the night inside I think he is scared, there’s a black cat that has been coming around and being aggressive they have fought a few times. But now Snuggles has lost about 1/3 of his weight.
Snuggles was the Alpha and the defender so now his nephew Grey is stepping up.
Grey’s sister Ms Wishbone has now been missing for 2 days.
Without Snuggles outside to defend at night Mama (his sister) is skittish.
Ms Wishbone IMG_3464.jpeg

Norachan

Staff Member
Purraise
Is it possible to keep all of your cats indoors? Or to keep them contained in your yard and garage? You might have to put up some cat proof fencing to do this. FIV and FeLV are both very contagious, so it's likely that all of your cats have been infected. If you let them roam around they'll spread the virus to all the other cats in the area. Also, with weakened immune systems, they're going to be vulnerable to any other disease going and won't be able to defend themselves if they get into a fight.

Is Snuggles still eating, or has he lost his appetite?

Kenny_T

TCS Member
Young Cat
Purraise
Update:
Miss Wishbone came home we’re very happy and she’s fine. Snuggles is doing better he has put a little weight back on. Mr Waldo who has been missing since last July, came home but it’s bittersweet he’s severely thin and looks like while he was away someone kicked him his ribs are messed up and he also has leukemia. So sadly we have been loving on him but we will let him cross he’s suffering and he deserves peace. So in the last week he has gotten more loving than in his whole feral life. 😔

IMG_3610.jpeg

dear sweet Mr. Waldo[/QUOTE]

Last edited by a moderator:

fionasmom

Staff Member
Purraise
I am so sorry for your loss. May the memories of the wonderful life you gave him with all of his kitty family bring comfort to you.

Status
Not open for further replies.