Mr. Big

russian blue

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
So sorry to hear this Robin.

You did show him love AND compassion. Especially with his recent outward aggression, you had to help him to cross over so he wouldn't have such a long painful journey that seemed to be his future.

RIP Mr. Big. Play hard at the RB.

queenofegypt

TCS Member
Adult Cat
Purraise
I agree totally with the wise words of the others on this thread. You did the only thing you could do, but you did it as much for Mr. Big as for any other reason, because you knew he was suffering and you couldn't bear to see suffering that could not be treated. He did have a hard life, until he found you. YOU made Mr. Big happy, because you accepted him and you loved him. And he loved you in return--I believe that even at the last, when he was aggressive from his illness, that deep inside he still felt that loving bond with you--as someone said, why else did he keep coming back to you? And you have no reason to feel guilty--you made him happy during his life, and you made the totally unselfish decision to end his suffering. Just remember him with love and I am sure that Mr. Big is now in a happy place returning that love. I have a particular fondness for orange tabbies--and what a beauty he was! RIP, Mr. Big
and know that you will always be loved and remembered.

booktigger

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
What a sad story. You really did do the right thing though, his aggression was obviously due to being in pain, and you cared enough to let him be free of that, that is what truly matters. This guy was lucky to have someone who cared enough, and he obviously knew you cared cos he kept coming when he was ill rather than going away.

• Thread Starter Thread Starter

kittykook

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
Thanks so much everyone for your words of encouragement. Hard to believe it's been a week since Mr. Big left and I still look for him every day when I pull into the driveway.....expecting him to be there.

It makes me sad to think that he ended up the way he did because of the irresponsibility of humans. Did someone just get tired of taking care of him? Did they move away and leave him behind? Did they just not care enough to make sure that he was neutered so that he wouldn't wander out into the streets and live a life that was ultimately his demise?

In the beginning, he was such a sweet cat, that I really believed he had once had a family. He didn't seem like a feral to me, although he was very skiddish until he learned to trust me. He always purred and "talked" to me. I'll miss those times......the way he was before he got sick. Once he was sick, he'd meow in a long wail as if he wanted to be close to me, but then the aggression would take over and he appeared not to be able to help himself. He'd walk around panting with his mouth open and almost growl. It was heartbreaking to see him decline like that.

I pray that he is at peace now.

enigma

TCS Member
Adult Cat
Purraise
wow, I am so sorry for you loss, and I admire the strength you had in yourself to do the right thing for the kitty. It sounds as if his illness was really starting to take over. please let us know if the tests say anything!! you did the right thing, who knows what could have happened, he may have bitten someone and was tortued by some cruel person as a result, he will be waiting at the bridge for you with a big smile on his face, knowing that you really loved him.