Moving

molly0214

TCS Member
Kitten
Purraise
Hello! I am new to the forum, and wanted to introduce myself. My boyfriend and I have a cat Simba, we got him for a shelter about 7 months ago. He was sick when we got him, but has recovered very well, into a very healthy cat. We are getting ready to move about 11 hours away, we are renting a Uhaul and doing everything ourselves. My question is what is the best way to travel for 11 hours with a cat? Anything information would be helpful, as I am not sure the best way. He doesn't have a problem being in the car, we have taken him a couple times, and he doesn't seem to mind. Please let me know if you have any advice on this situation.
Thanks!
Molly

valanhb

TCS Member
Veteran
Purraise
Welcome to the site Molly!

I'll move this to the Care & Grooming forum where people can give you advice about long trips with cats. I know some of our members have done it successfully.

sandie

TCS Member
Veteran
Purraise
If he travels well in the car, all you should need is a large enough carrier to but a small litter box in the back. You can buy food and water dishes that attach to the front of the cage. I would freeze the water the night before, that way it doesnt splash around in the carrier, and he can drink if he's thirsty.

5catsandcountin

TCS Member
Alpha Cat
Purraise
Please make sure the carrier is large enough for the box and for him to curl up and move a little..a large pet crate, for a medum sized dog or larger would be great. Anything smaller and I could not imagine it being comfy for that long of time.

I would also put in anything that is his...that he enjoys and even a tshirt or baby blanket that has your scent on it...so he can smell familiar things.