Moving

koine2002

TCS Member
Kitten
Purraise
Hi all, this is my first post. I currently live in Dallas and have had my boy Cracker for 9 years, next month. He was a TNR rescue kitten that they adopted out. He's been my faithful companion. It was just him and me until I got married a year ago. My wife of one year adores him. While he still doesn't go to her if I'm present (unless she has the blanket in the cold and I don't), he started occasionally going to her about 6 months ago and sleeps in our bed closer to her (she runs warmer). For the most part, though, when I'm out at work (she's a homemaker) he just sleeps in my office chair and walks around but doesn't really approach her. He's a loving, cuddly, gentle lap cat that still loves to play and occasionally rough house.

Anyway, we're being moved to the Puget Sound (Whidbey Island). We are not in a position to buy as prices are well beyond our reach, at the moment, for what we need. We cannot find a rental in our range that will even talk about pets. It looks like we'll have to adopt him out.

Here's my question. What is the likelihood of a nearly 10 year old cat who has had one owner and one dwelling since 6 months old taking to a new environment and a new owner? He is actually quite clingy with me (always has been). My wife says he stands at the door for about 10 minutes after I leave. I ask that because of his very slow adjustment to my wife.

Furballsmom

Cat Devotee
Staff Member
Forum Helper
Purraise
Hi - thanks for coming here!
Your cat has bonded to you, quite completely.
How is he with strangers? Is there anyone he is familiar with who would take him in?

Is there anyone you can work with to help your cat adjust to a new environment over time before you leave? Maybe even find a cat behaviorist who can give you ideas of what to do to help him.

There's no question that on the flip side, even if you could find a place where you could take him with you, moving him would be very stressful and he'd have to deal with so many new things, different water, etc etc.

Cats can be resilient, given a loving new person he could do ok.

Shar371

TCS Member
Young Cat
Purraise
Hey Koine, welcome to TCS! Whidbey is lovely, and I'm sorry to hear they don't have any pet friendly housing. (I'm making a mental note of that, since I was thinking about going to grad school near Seattle, and my odds of affording a house in that market are nil). My brother moved up near there (Mukilteo/Everett) a couple years ago (without pets). I can reach out to him and see if he knows of anything up there through coworkers. You might also try reaching out to an animal rescue in the area to see if they can help you guys find animal-friendly housing.

Barring that, I think Furballsmom has you on the right path... if there's anyone else that Cracker is good with and can take him in, that might be the way to go.

Furballsmom

Cat Devotee
Staff Member
Forum Helper
Purraise
I can reach out to him and see if he knows of anything up there through coworkers. You might also try reaching out to an animal rescue in the area to see if they can help you guys find animal-friendly housing.
I think this is an awesomely generous thing to offer - wow :bouquet: :sunshine:
susanm9006 susanm9006 :yeah:
To the original poster, let us know how things go - :goodluck:

• Thread Starter Thread Starter

koine2002

TCS Member
Kitten
Purraise
I thank you all for your recommendations and support. I'm going to have to live on the island for my position (Pastor), so off island is not likely going to work well due to travel time and all. That said, Cracker is familiar with my mother. He knows her and has a history of treating her well. She is very good with cats, too. My wife and I drove the trek to her and surrendered him to her this week. He did well with me around and when my wife and I left for periods of time. We've been back home for a full day, now. He's obviously struggling without me, but is not hiding, he's eating, grooming, using the litter pan, etc. We left some things he's familiar with (his cat tower and a blanket with my scent). He's jumping on counters and such, but not appreciating her rules for cats and counters (he hisses and snarls when she gets him off). He does have some stress helping food as well as medication both prescribed by the vet to help him if needed. We are watching his progress to determine if this will work of if we have to consider another option.

Furballsmom

Cat Devotee
Staff Member
Forum Helper
Purraise
Yes exactly what susanm9006 susanm9006 said - sounds like your mom has the patience required to work with a somewhat confused furbaby, :redheartpump: and do keep us posted as to how things go!

koine2002

TCS Member
Kitten
Purraise
My sister just sent us thesd photos. This is day two without me present. He's taking to his new environment really well as well as living with grandma and his aunt Winter (the smaller cat). In the first, he's enjoying treats from mom. In the second he's enjoying some catnip. His own cat tower is in another room. Keep in mind, he's doing this with my sister present, too.View media item 420817View media item 420816

koine2002

TCS Member
Kitten
Purraise
I should say, his grandma (who is my mother).

Furballsmom

Cat Devotee
Staff Member
Forum Helper
Purraise
This is absolutely fantastic!!!
You-all ROCK, and be sure to tell her, him, them, --everybody LOL that we said so ;)
Thanks ever so much for the updates!

koine2002

TCS Member
Kitten
Purraise
So Cracker is adapting well. He is now playing with my mother and inviting her to play, too. He let her pick him up today without hissing (she had to move him). Her cat (Winter) does a lot of hissing and posturing but he's been ignoring her. She went after him once (when he went to sniff my mom's feet), he swatted her back. He's 16 lbs to her 9 lbs. She hasn't done it since. Yesterday, he started rolling on his back when Winter comes near him, though she hasn't taken the opportunity. He started playing the "you open the door and I'll close it and vice versa" game when she went into a cupboard. Beyond that, though, Winter has been slower to adapt to his presence than he has to his new environment.

Here Cracker is playing with my mother in a cat tunnel.View media item 420872Here is is chilling with Winter on a perch on his cat tree.View media item 420871

susanm9006

Willow
Top Cat
Purraise
It is wonderful to hear how well your cat is adjusting. Sounds like he is happy to have a potential playmate.

koine2002

TCS Member
Kitten
Purraise
Further update. Cracker is doing very, very well. He did sneak out a couple of weeks ago. We were afraid of him getting out until Mom was certain he associated his new place with "home." He got startled by people working on her new deck. He went under the car to hide. When my nephew went under to get him he went right to the front door to beg to be let in. This indicates that her house is a safe place.

That said, he is now actively playing with Winter. They have a morning chase where they rip snort back and forth across the house alternating who is chasing one another. They also sneak up on each other. He is coming to my mother for affection, too. He jumped on her lap two weeks ago. He also sits next to her on the loveseat while she watches TV and either wants to play or be petted. She told me the other day it is very hard to be productive because he follows her everywhere (which is what he did with me). Here are a couple of recent photos she sent me.

View media item 420999View media item 421000

rubysmama

Forum Helper
Staff Member
Forum Helper
Purraise
What a wonderful update. :thumbsup: So glad he settled in so quickly with his grandma :petcat:And Auntie Winter. :catlove: