Moving with two kitties — separate or keep them together while adjusting?

LadybugsMama

TCS Member
Young Cat
Purraise
Hi all! My boyfriend and I moved in together last April. My cat Ladybug (5 yrs, F) and his cat Kitty (10 yrs, F) were slowly introduced after being isolated for a few days, but they never took warmly to each other. At best, they tolerate the other’s existence lol.

We are moving next week and I am wondering if we should isolate them in their own rooms again, or if it is better to have them isolated together. They’re both nervous travelers but adjusted quickly to the new space. I think my worry is they would take their anxiousness out on each other, so just want to confirm there’s no emotional benefit to having them in the same room initially :-)

Thank you! xx

Attachments

r-kins

TCS Member
Adult Cat
Purraise
Do they actively dislike each other or just kind of ignore the other? We had a cat that never particularly liked her brother, but his existence alone calmed and reassured her when she was really stressed out.

• Thread Starter Thread Starter

LadybugsMama

TCS Member
Young Cat
Purraise
Do they actively dislike each other or just kind of ignore the other? We had a cat that never particularly liked her brother, but his existence alone calmed and reassured her when she was really stressed out.
Great question lol! I think the younger one annoys the older one because she wants to play more often, so they’ll growl a bit and chase each other… but they also sleep in the same bed/areas and hide together when the vacuum comes out. Maybe I’ll see how they do sharing a space in the new place and if they’re not getting on, move one into another room? :)

Furballsmom

Cat Devotee
Staff Member
Forum Helper
Purraise
Maybe I’ll see how they do sharing a space in the new place and if they’re not getting on, move one into another room?
Hi! Reading that last post of yours, I think this approach is your best bet. Maybe a couple of calming products too?