Moving with three cats…tips?

trudy1

TCS Member
Super Cat
Purraise
Moving from Little Rock to sw Missouri…6 hour trip with 3 cats…all rescues. Two get along ok but rarely in cages, much less for this long. Two males and a female. Moving from only place they’ve ever known to a totally new apartment.
I fear the worst but my daughter says she’s got it dad! Ya

she has Cbd oil to use.

any other tips that works

Im trying to be calm over this…but you know dad

Annieca2016

TCS Member
Young Cat
Purraise
I used gabapentin on my girl who hates traveling. They can still fight but it gives them a slower reaction time and just calms them. For Pompom it meant she didn't pant, soil herself, and cry for the entire drive.

When you get into your new place, contain them in a smaller space to give them some time to adjust. It should be fine and good luck!

susanm9006

Willow
Top Cat
Purraise
Move in separate cages or carriers if you can. Even best friends can attack each other if they are frightened or stressed. Line each carrier with a puppy pad in case anyone pees, pukes or poops. Once in their carriers cover The carrier with a towel or light cloth and don’t open or disturb them until they get to the new place. Before you open carriers I would set up a room for them with food water, litter boxes and multiple hiding spaces and keep them confined there until you are done moving in.

Alldara

TCS Member
Staff Member
Forum Helper
Purraise
For a longer drive, if you can get those dog ones that sit in the back seat and you strap them down and then zip them up, I found those helpful. https://www.amazon.ca/dp/B08276DS94/?tag=

My neighbors moved their two cats in a large dog crate so they would have access to litter.

I moved Nobel and Lily 6 hours away in just their crates. But I brought a litter and had them come out to use it in the trunk (harnessed and leashed and held as well). They did that trip a few times actually. I brought them home with me when I visited family for a week or two a few times.

Catnip is great if it makes your cats calm..play with them before you go if they'll allow. Only feed light food in case they get carsick. Some cats like just a couple temptations, the dry food soaks up some of the acid in the tummy. My cats needed to look outside to not be sick. That's why I switched to the dog seats. I could use their harness to give space. I extended their space with a short leash and put a disposable litter on the floor. This was ideal for me.