Moving with Eight Cats

ondine

TCS Member
Veteran
Purraise
Not sure how often I will be able to post in this thread.  We are moving in May from NJ to NC.  We have hired a pet service to drive all eight cats.

We originally were going to fly them all but with each airport at least 1.5 hours drive from each house, we figured driving would take the same time and be cheaper.  It is an eight-hour drive.

Our dear vet is coming out the morning of the move to give each cat a shot, which will put each in a twilight sleep.  All of my cats go a little bonkers during the three mile trip to the vet, so I am hoping this will help keep things sane on the trip down there.

I will already be there and have bought a 4-foot crate to set up for each cat.  The new house has a 23' x 13' sun room, which is where all the crates are going.

Because we have a cat who has had her own room (she loves us but hates other cats) and two cats who have lived outside in an enclosure, the introductions are going to be tricky.  I am thinking I will keep all of them in crates and let them out individually or by twos for short periods every day.  All of our cat trees will be in the room, which will not have any furniture for anyone to hide under.  After a few days or weeks, I'll access if they are ready to interact.

I plan to scent switch and give treats on a daily basis and maybe introduce individual cats to one another, one by one.  We have two scaredy cats (Gracie and Chester), two alphas (Halsey and Molly) two who are pretty chill (Alfred and Josie) and two who hate other cats (Schofield, one of the outside guys and Teresa, the one with her own room.  They are half-siblings, actually).  They are the two I worry most about.

We are moving because my in-laws are getting older and need us.  The extra twist is that my husband will remain up here in NJ, working, until this house sells.  Fingers crossed that doesn't take too long but who knows?

If anyone can think of something I've missed, please chime in.  Thanks, guys ...

Kat0121

TCS Member
Veteran
Purraise
It really sounds like you have everything covered. @Norachan  is for sure the expert on moving with cats. Maybe she can chime in. I hope the house in NJ sells quickly. 

Some people think that burying a statue of St Joseph in your yard will help the house sell faster. it couldn't hurt. 

http://www.wikihow.com/Bury-St.-Joseph

• Thread Starter Thread Starter

ondine

TCS Member
Veteran
Purraise
Kat0121:  Thanks for your reply.  I was actually thinking of PMing Nora.  She is the expert!

I'd heard of the St. Joseph statue trick but they say you have to bury him upside down.  Just can't bring myself to do that... 

Kat0121

TCS Member
Veteran
Purraise

Kat0121:  Thanks for your reply.  I was actually thinking of PMing Nora.  She is the expert!

I'd heard of the St. Joseph statue trick but they say you have to bury him upside down.  Just can't bring myself to do that... 
Put a statue of St. Francis of Assisi next to him. They can keep each other company and St Francis can watch over the cats. 

handsome kitty

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
When my sister moved to a new house her cats suddenly got along .  All the territory issues were gone.