Moving To New House, Is It Okay To Replace Litter Box Then Too?

epainter

TCS Member
Kitten
Purraise
I have two adult female tabbies (4 years old). Since they were kittens they've used a litter robot II, and had no issues going from my first small apartment to my current larger one with that same litterbox. I'll be moving again in a couple weeks, but to a larger space (townhouse), and I'm thinking of upgrading to the newest litter robot. I'm wondering if it's best to order the new one now, and start them off with the new one the day they are in the new house? Or will that be too much change/possibly cause issues? I'd rather not move the old box into the new house and then swap later, but not sure if that's too much all at once since cats love routine.

Has anyone else switched litter boxes the same time that they moved into a new house?

basschick

TCS Member
Alpha Cat
Purraise
just my opinion, but i'd say start them off with the familiar box - they'll have enough "new" to deal with. after you've been there a little while, get the new one but put a little used, cleaned litter in it for the familiar smell.

danteshuman

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
Since litter boxes are BIG territory items, I would give them a new box 3 months or so after the move. I would also do a few more things for their home base room (your bedroom.)
1) put the litter from their box in a plastic garbage bag. Take the litter with you and use it when you set up home base.
2) pack all their bedding and toys in Tupperware storage boxes or a bag. Be sure to pack the cat stuff last, so you can unload it and release the cats in their room ASAP. If they don't have beds or favorite blankets, spread out towels or blankets over their favorite spots.... preferably for 2 weeks before the move. Then take the towels and blankets with you. The goal is to spread their scent all around their base camp room, so it smells like them.
3) the cat tree and scratches go in the cat room, to start.
4) don't wash your bedding for the move. Just wrap it up in clean trash bags. Then their home base room will smell like you to (and them.)

*check out your new place with a black light (and around your door and new building if you can.) If you see glowing pre spots, chances are high your cat's are smelling them. Clean them with an enzyme cleaner. (The black light outside can tell you if your house has been marked again since you cleaned it. If so deterrents to keep those enemy cats away may help prevent pre problems.)

• Thread Starter Thread Starter

epainter

TCS Member
Kitten
Purraise
Thanks for the responses! Keeping the old box was my assumption, I was just hoping I didn't have to (It's had a lot of use and definitely ready for a new one)