Moving to new apartment, getting a second cat

Endorush85

TCS Member
Kitten
Purraise
2 questions, not sure if right subforum

I adopted a short hair american black female cat when she was 2. I lived alone in an apartment for about 2 years with her, just the 2 of us. I worked 6 hours a day 5 days a week. Then I got layed off and had to move to my parents house and took the cat with me. its been 6 years with me my 2 parents, and the cat at my parents place. so shes 10 now.

I'm getting a new job and might move out at some point back to my own apartment (thinking about it).

question 1: will she be sad living away from my parents in a different house, and also being alone 8 hours a day 5 days a week? where shes so used to living in a bigger house with me and 2 parents, and someone always being home with her?

question 2: I was thinking, if I do move out, maybe I'd get a second, younger cat? like another 2 year old cat to keep her company? I've read that older cats who are used to being single cats might not like a younger cat suddenly sharing their territory.

Any ideas?

ArtNJ

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
1: It would be an adjustment, but cats normally adapt to that sort of thing pretty well

2. 10 year + younger cat is, on average (you never know) a very difficult introduction with a fairly high probability that your working towards toleration, and they will never be friends. So getting a younger cat to keep an older cat company is *not* a good reason to do it. If she could speak, the odds are that she would never thank you for it. If *you* want another cat, its doable, as long as you understand the potential difficulties -- just don't do it for your current cat. Make sense?

Furballsmom

Cat Devotee
Staff Member
Forum Helper
Purraise
I would like to suggest that you leave the 10 year old kitty at your parents. Cats do adjust but she's getting up in years and a move like this is going to be very stressful for her.

Once you're settled in your new place see about getting another cat :) . You can work out feline introductions whenever you go back home to visit, we can help with that then.

Alldara

TCS Member
Staff Member
Forum Helper
Purraise
The answers to your questions are: it depends. It really depends on your cat's personality.

1. Does she spend a lot of time with her people? It might be hard to be home all day. Does she spend a lot of the day chilling on her own? Probably would be fine.

2. Are your parents willing to care for her including vet visits and costs? If no, she's better off coming with you even if she's a bit lonely.

3. Is she most bonded with you? She won't tolerate being left by you. Is she equally bonded to those in the house? She would tolerate being left with your parents.

New cat:
1. Is she still playful? Does she seek people and toys out to play with her? This was a sign for me that Nobel wanted a companion to play with despite his age.

2. Will the new apartment have enough space for separation during introductions which will take 2 weeks to 6 months? It'll begin with full days apart for up to two weeks.

3. It's difficult because it doesn't sound like she's been around other cats before. To successfully introduce young cats to an older cat, you need to match the younger cat's personality to the older cat, and adopt the younger cat from a foster home where there were older cats (maybe even a grumpy one :) ). They should share some interests, and it should be a calmer younger cat that you are prepared to provide a LOT of enrichment to/for plus playtime before and after work.

Example:
Nobel (16 next month) co-existed with our late cat, Lily, for over a decade. She bullied him and would never play with him. He lived with other cats sometimes too depending on roommates etc. He liked cats who would play with him, and who would not try to be dominant.
He missed Lily. We thought he'd be a solo cat but he was a wreak when we left the house. This during COVID when leaving meant an hour walk, not a work day.
We checked many places until we found Magnus. 5 months, living with 2 older foster cats, being bullied by his twin brother Queso who was 2X his size. Likes window-watching. Perfect.
14 year old introduced to a 5 month old in 2 months using Jackson Galaxy's method....I was expecting the 6 month intro time. Best part was watching Nobel be fully confident and back to his personality during his breaks from Magnus, and then seeing him HAVE his personality around Magnus.
Nobel loves Magnus more than anything. Magnus has taught him how to cat more than Nobel has ever cat-ed. He's learned how to use his feet to get treats, play with a ball loop, he makes play movements he's seen Magnus do and sounds. He loves watching Magnus play on his own or with me and sometimes he reaches his feet out to pole at Magnus while he plays.

Over a year later we decided to exhaust ourselves and introduce a 6 month old cat, Calcifer who came from a foster home with a grumpy old resident cat. Again, 2 months intro time. The vet is amazed that we have a fairly peaceful home. I think they expected injuries. But again, all done by personality of the cats. Nobel hisses at the babies if they overstimulate him but they know just to leave him be. He plays with both. There are still some swipes and chomps at Cal sometimes but they are "I'm warning you." Cal burrs and trots off.

• Thread Starter Thread Starter

Endorush85

TCS Member
Kitten
Purraise
excellent responses and information, thank you.

I still have months to think about all this, but the posts in this thread are helping me wrap my mind around it.

Freddieandchip

TCS Member
Adult Cat
Purraise
2 questions, not sure if right subforum

I adopted a short hair american black female cat when she was 2. I lived alone in an apartment for about 2 years with her, just the 2 of us. I worked 6 hours a day 5 days a week. Then I got layed off and had to move to my parents house and took the cat with me. its been 6 years with me my 2 parents, and the cat at my parents place. so shes 10 now.

I'm getting a new job and might move out at some point back to my own apartment (thinking about it).

question 1: will she be sad living away from my parents in a different house, and also being alone 8 hours a day 5 days a week? where shes so used to living in a bigger house with me and 2 parents, and someone always being home with her?

question 2: I was thinking, if I do move out, maybe I'd get a second, younger cat? like another 2 year old cat to keep her company? I've read that older cats who are used to being single cats might not like a younger cat suddenly sharing their territory.

Any ideas?
I have had cats my whole life and introduced many cats and kittens to my older cats. Some of them love other cats, some of them hate them. If she hasn’t really been around other cats I would suggest fostering if it’s a possibility for you, just to see how she would do with other cats. If she does well and seems to like the company of a cat then it would be great to adopt but if she doesn’t warm up after a while she may be happier as the only cat.

• Thread Starter Thread Starter

Endorush85

TCS Member
Kitten
Purraise
also thinking, the current cat is a female, would she like a male cat rather than another female?

Alldara

TCS Member
Staff Member
Forum Helper
Purraise
also thinking, the current cat is a female, would she like a male cat rather than another female?
If they are fixed, I haven't found gender matters in terms of intros. There are many wives tales going either way.

Personality is most important, and will be unrelated to gender. You can always put "feelers" out at local rescues to see what kind of younger cats they have, or if they can keep an eye out for one suited to life with an older cat.

It can be great to have a younger cat around as they age IF they bond, because of grooming as well.

Fourcats4me

TCS Member
Young Cat
Purraise
Fostering seems like teh best option to me. if you are adopting a foster kitty coming from a multi-kitt environment, you may have less of a territorial battle. I just adopted an 8 yr old adult, Calcio, from the Petsmart cat adoption program. The owner had passed, and she had been rescued from a high-kill shelter. I had three adult cats that were about 5 yr old littermates and my 20 yeara old that had been the alpha kitt passed a year ago, so I had a vacancy for a needy kitty.

Miss Pickles, the cat I adopted from Pet Smart, had the attitude of " what is the hell is your problem I have the right to be here too" whenever the other kitties tried to start a fight with her or get aggressive. She had absolutely NO Interest in fighting with anyone she just wanted to sunbathe in the open window and enjoy not being in a cage. She is VERY CUTE Tortishell, and it is funny to see her give the other cats a look like, "what, you never saw a cat before? Just leave me alone!" My old guys slowly accepted her because all the hissing and spitting got them nowhere. When they pushed too far, Mis Pickles would yowl as loud as she could, and of course, I would come. Guess got in trouble for being a " bad kitty."

Of course, the old kittles have to get extra TLC so they do not feel their person is being taken away from them. It is also important to have enough space so each kitty can claim its spot in the house/apt. and get away from each other if they wish. The own space can be something as simple as putting up a series of kitty shelves on the wall so they can get off teh ground and just dangle the wall shelves. I have some who love to dangle from the shelves and sleep near the ceilings. Others are not interested in the shelves at all and prefer window benches; in the end, each has its own special spot, and in the end, you cut down on the territorial battle..