Moving To Adult Cat Food Suggestions Thanks

BensonG24

TCS Member
Young Cat
Purraise
Hi, my cat is now 1 year old and it's about time to move her to adult cat food (been eating kitten food obviously haha) She is on a dry food diet (not really sure what/how to feed wet food). Right now the food she eats really isn't that good which is why I want to start giving her a better diet (will still be majority dry) so I was wondering if you guys can give any suggestions. I live in Brisbane, Australia and here are some of the options from our local grocery store and big pet store ({{metaController.metaData.title}}) (Dry Cat Food | Buy Online & Get Free Shipping* | Petbarn). I can't really go for the MOST expensive food obviously but I want to look for something that isn't too bad and is still dry. As for wet food we want to feed her maybe a few a week or just whenever but we're not really sure what type to give her since I don't know if there are specific ones for certain types of cats. Also, I don't know if I should go canned or the pouch ones thanks. Just in case my cat is a domestic short hair, any help will be appreciated thanks. Sorry for the long post :)

Kieka

Snowshoe Servant
Staff Member
Forum Helper
Purraise
Since you will be leaving in a few weeks and will be gone for two months; I would contact the person who is cat sitting and find out what they feed. Doing one food will be the easiest for them during that time. Unless they feed something that seems super off to you. Once you get back then maybe look into a different food option. Ideally, you want something with high protein, minimal carbs and moderate fat.

As to how to transition, for dry food you'd do, at minimum, a quarter new, three quarters old for two to three days. Then do half and half for two to three days. Then do a quarter old and three questers new for two to three days. Then you are on all new food. I personally, keep my food in an air tight storage container. When I transition to a new food, I start topping off the storage container and mixing each time I serve food. Over the course of a month the food will slowly change from the old to the new.

Wet food, it depends on if you have been feeding exclusively one flavor and brand. If you have, then do one meal the new food, three the old, two the new, two the old, three the new, one the old. Or you can mix similar to the dry food if your cat is okay with refrigerated food

• Thread Starter Thread Starter

BensonG24

TCS Member
Young Cat
Purraise
Since you will be leaving in a few weeks and will be gone for two months; I would contact the person who is cat sitting and find out what they feed. Doing one food will be the easiest for them during that time. Unless they feed something that seems super off to you. Once you get back then maybe look into a different food option. Ideally, you want something with high protein, minimal carbs and moderate fat.

As to how to transition, for dry food you'd do, at minimum, a quarter new, three quarters old for two to three days. Then do half and half for two to three days. Then do a quarter old and three questers new for two to three days. Then you are on all new food. I personally, keep my food in an air tight storage container. When I transition to a new food, I start topping off the storage container and mixing each time I serve food. Over the course of a month the food will slowly change from the old to the new.

Wet food, it depends on if you have been feeding exclusively one flavor and brand. If you have, then do one meal the new food, three the old, two the new, two the old, three the new, one the old. Or you can mix similar to the dry food if your cat is okay with refrigerated food
For food etc we will be providing them what they need for our cat, since shes still eating kitten food I wasn't sure if thats ok since it's a whole 2 months, if it's ok I we can continue the kitten food till we come back and transition over to adult fter returning. Thanks for your input!