Moving to a new place and combining cats and dogs

littlecatt

TCS Member
Adult Cat
Purraise
Hi all,

My girlfriend and I are finally moving in together and combining our fur families. I have three cats (age 7, 4, and 2) and she has one dog (~20 pounds, cockapoo, 1.5 years). My cats have never been around dogs and her dog has only met cats once when we visited a friend's place, and she army crawled under the bed to try and say hi to them but didn't bark or chase them. We've been reading up on slowly introducing cats and dogs but I just wanted to post here for any personalized advice. Our new place is pretty spacious, five bedrooms, two floors and a basement as well as a fenced backyard. I'm getting there with the cats two weeks earlier than she'll arrive with the dog. Our plan is to have the litter boxes in the basement as well as set up cat trees in the basement bedroom, the basement door already has a cat door so hopefully that can be a safe zone. We're also setting up one of the second floor bedrooms as a cat room with a day bed and wall furniture, and have plans for putting a catio in the living room window, so the cats will have secure dog-free locations. My plan is to introduce the cats to the home before the dog gets there, and then when the dog arrives, we'll keep her confined to certain areas with baby gates and do scent swapping.

I know so much depends on the personalities of the animals, but does anyone have tips for introducing animals when they're both entering a new home? My oldest cat is pretty brave and adaptable but super cranky and dominant, it was a process even introducing him to the two other cats when they were kittens. My middle cat is skittish but unobtrusive, she tends to spend most of her time in her bedroom on her day bed. And the youngest is the baby, he's very curious and playful and bounces back from things quickly, we're hoping he and the dog get along.

Cat and dog pictures -- Finn's the beige, Anya's the white fluff, Jonathan's the tabby, and Junie's the teddy bear. :)

Attachments

Furballsmom

Cat Devotee
Staff Member
Forum Helper
Purraise
Hi! Congratulations!

Is this a brand new build? If not, you might check the various rooms with a blacklight for any previous urine spots that might need some enzymatic cleaning.

You have some great plans already. Additionally you might have the dog sleep on a blanket and then bring that so the cats can have that scent.

This might help, and maybe some calming products for the cats if it looks like they are a bit stressed;
How To Safely Introduce A Cat And A Dog – TheCatSite Articles

Last edited:
  • Thread Starter Thread Starter

littlecatt

TCS Member
Adult Cat
Purraise
Hi! Congratulations!

Is this a brand new build? If not, you might check the various rooms with a blacklight for any previous urine spots that might need some enzymatic cleaning.

You have some great plans already. Additionally you might have the dog sleep on a blanket and then bring that so the cats can have that scent.

This might help, and maybe some calming products for the cars if it looks like they are a bit stressed;
How To Safely Introduce A Cat And A Dog – TheCatSite Articles
What a great idea -- it's not a new build and since there's already a cat door installed I assume cats have lived there before. I'll bring a blacklight with me before the cats move in to make sure there's no previous urine spots!

I think we'll try mailing out one of the dog's blankets before she moves in so the cats can get used to it being around the house! Hopefully then it'll be less of a shock when the dog shows up in the flesh.

Thank you so much for the suggestions and the link! :)