Moving To A New Home

vlevy2

TCS Member
Kitten
Purraise
Hi Catsite Family!
I am struggling with this one. My parents & I have shared a home for 14 years and now my son and I are moving out on our own to a new townhome in the city. My parents live on a 1.5 acres and a pond. It's in a neighborhood with neighborhood cats that live in homes& travel around at night as well as stray cats that just hang out. There was a stray that took up to our home about 5 years ago. I feed her and due to risk of coyotes, I build her an outside "catio" on the porch, that she (and other cats) eat on and can have a place to get up high if they feel afraid. She has all her shots & has been neutered. Since March, Ive been working from home and my office is right off the porch. Ive started to let her come inside & sit with me in my office. She seems to like it but still likes to go back outside. During the day, she sleeps & "Cats around" at night (I see cats walking around the house all over our security system cameras lol)

So here is the dilemma. I've promised my son a new puppy when we move but my parents arent cat people. They will still take care of her outside but she will no longer come inside ...which I don't know that she really cares that much. SO . . .IF I take the cat with me, she will HAVE to be inside ALL the time because our townhome is in the city & she can't roam around without getting lost or run over by a car. Will she even like that? I don't really think so ... I think she likes being around the other cats but having a little porch area to live. Wouldn't I be doing her a disservice to put her in the house full time? If I take her to the new house (brand new so no other pet scents) then bring in the puppy, will she "spray" my house? If she is stuck inside all the time, will she "spray" my house?

I want what's best for her and for us. What are your thoughts? Thanks So much!

Attachments

fionasmom

Staff Member
Purraise
I have only ever adopted ferals and strays and once the come inside, the door shuts forever regardless of their history outside. There can be an adjustment period but it passes. In my experience, once the cat(s) realizes what it means to be inside all the time, they quickly adjust, sometimes almost comically. About a year ago I brought in two feral sisters. One had been friendly, coming in and out, but wanting back out eventually. The other refused to come in. During a big rainstorm, the friendly cat walked inside and I shut the door, ran outside and grabbed the sister, pushed her inside and shut the door. She reacted....crying, hanging onto the door but it passed in a few days and she is now the one sprawled out on the blanket on the sofa waiting for her next meal. The cat should be given a separate room when you move, temporarily, so that she can adjust without being overwhelmed by everything being new. I would let her adjust before getting a puppy.

I have never had a spayed female spray but I am not discounting that it could happen. Others might comment on that. I would be more concerned about a male spraying even though it certainly does not apply to all of them.

How To Safely Introduce A Cat And A Dog – TheCatSite Articles
9 Tips That Will Help Your Kitten Adapt To A New Apartment – TheCatSite Articles
How To Move With Your Cat To A New Home In A Safe Way – TheCatSite Articles
The Five Golden Rules To Bringing An Outdoor Cat Inside – TheCatSite Articles
Best And Worst Dog Breeds To Live With Cats – TheCatSite Articles
Bringing Home A New Cat – The Complete Guide – TheCatSite Articles

I have always had dogs and cats, dogs before I ever owned cats. You may be a very experience dog owner but there are steps that will help with the introduction and adjustment. High prey drive dogs or sighthounds are not the best choice but I have had "herding" type dogs with no problem once everyone accepted their new roommate.

Whenallhellbreakslose

Living in Kitty Paradise.
Top Cat
Purraise
I have taken strays in, and since they were so happy to get off the streets they were content in their new home. On the other hand, I had a few that still wanted to go outside and pestered me until I relented. That was years ago, today no indoor cat of mine goes outside because of the dangers outside. I take care of outdoor kitties and I have seen some truly heartbreaking stuff. I wish I could get as many as possible off the streets.

While I am very pro-indoor kitty, not every cat takes to the indoors well. A few questions to look into are: How strong is this cat's desire to stay out doors? Is she strongly bonded to her buddies that separation would depress her? If you keep her in for a day or two would she be kicking up a big fuss to go out? As mentioned, I had a few cats that were very adamant about going out. I tried my darnest to make them strictly indoor kitties, but they would find a way to sneak out or they would drive me crazy. When they got older, I was finally able to manage to make them strictly indoor kitties. I could tell you there were cats I owned that I knew in my heart would not take to apartment living, which is why I only lived in houses. Most cats adjust to their environment, but some are very stubborn and want things they way they were. When you have an unhappy cat like that who is not coping with the move, bringing a new pet on the scene could exasperate the problem.

After you have examined this cat's behavior and come to the conclusion she can or can not live with you, you need to start having a plan. fionasmom fionasmom covered moving with the cat and getting her acclimated to indoor living and her new housemate. I like to discuss if you decide it is best to leave her behind. Do you think your parents would do a good job looking after her? Don't rule them out because they are dog people. I have seen dog people feed outdoor kitties because even though they don't full understand them, they couldn't bear to see any animal starve. Tell your parents that this cat means a lot to you and you would appreciate if they could look after her from now on. If your parents are not sure they want to take care of the cat, then please look to your neighbors or a cat feeder close by. Since there are a bunch of kitties in the area, there has got to be someone. Work out the situation so this cat is safe and gets regular feedings and has an outdoor shelter that will keep her warm. If your parents are the ones who agree to take her on, train them in how to take care of her. I don't know how far away you are moving, but if not that far then visit and spend time with this kitty. Stay in her life to some degree.

I wish you all the best. Hope you found this reply helpful.🙂

• Thread Starter Thread Starter

vlevy2

TCS Member
Kitten
Purraise
Thank you both so much for your input. Oh no . . . both of them love animals & would never let an animal starve outside. They just will not let her come inside; they will maintain the catio & her outside bedding & fountain. My dad feeds EVERYTHING that comes to the house. We can't throw away vegtables because the geese & the ducks can eat it . . .he buys food for the doves & puts corn out for the squirrels. LOL I'm just wondering about taking her ... maybe I will see how she does after we go. The puppy will probably come first . . .then the cat. I can build her some shelves in the house if I bring her.