Moving / Potty Issue

justicereigh

TCS Member
Kitten
Purraise
Hello! My name is Justice and I have three cats; Q who is female and 6months old, V who is female and 4months old, and Demi who is female and 13 years old.

We are simultaneously moving to a new apartment, and trying to remedy Q's bathroom issue of pooing in our closet.

We have assorted litter boxes, and just found a new shape she seems to like with litter that all the cats seem pleased with.

As we plan for moving, we are anticipating the stress and needs of each of our cats before we arrive.

Demi and V are both very independent and strong willed cats. Demi is our stubborn little old lady, who we know will settle in fine when she learns of her new cat-safe balcony (she used to be an outdoor cat with the pervious owners, and we cab tell she misses it.)
V is so positively curious and completely trusting of my fiancee and I that she has no trouble going place to place, she loves cars and is the first to try anything new, we know she will also adapt to the new space well.

Q, on the other hand, is infinitely more sensitive. She is very possessive of me- though never to the point of fighting or bullying the other cats- and she can get very alarmed with new sounds or places. She was a rescue and I kept her in her first safe room for 2-3 months before she was let out.

it is a one bedroom apartment, and we are trying to plan out how to socialize each cat. We have decided that each cat should spend 1-2 nights without a doubt in the room, and that Q needs a longer amount of time- especially time after the other kitties have been allowed out.

I have some questions!
-Will letting the other cats out first negatively affect Q? We will have a huge walk in closet, and we thought of keeping all the cats there, then letting the other two into the main apartment and allowing Q out but only to the master bedroom.

-the cats have one 2'cat tree, a 1'x2' cat "S" scratching post, a square food scratch mat, and we are building a 5'-6' cat tree to be finished by Christmas, they also have a 4' sound/light tunnel and a variety of toys.
Is there anything specific that Q would take to as a private personal security blanket type item? Any suggestions?

-we want to switch their diet to raw/homecooked food, will changing their diet when we move cause too much stress or shock on them? Or will they think of it as treats?

-any additional suggestions that might help Q's potty problem, other than a safe room and her preferred litter/box?

-any moving advice?

Thanks for any input!

Last edited:

shadowsrescue

TCS Member
Veteran
Purraise
You are so well planned and have really thought so much of your cats.  They are quite lucky to have you. 

I would suggest getting a Feliway diffuser to have in the new apartment.  You might want more than one.  Put one in the area they will first be in such as the master closet and then get another for the main living area.  Make sure they have access to familiar scents.  Something like a familiar blanket or bed so that they can smell something that belongs to them.  You might also want to get some Composure calming treats or liquid.  I like the liquid as it is easily mixed into wet food and some cats are finicky about the treats.  They really help to calm stressed cats.  You can find both products for a good price on Amazon.

As far as the peeing issue, I realize you will be in a small apartment.  How many litter boxes do you have?  The golden rule is one litter box for each cat plus one additional.  THat would mean you need 4.  This probably will not happen in your small space, but you really do need more than one.  Also do you keep the litter box sparkling clean?  I will post 2 videos on litter box issues. 

As far as their diet, I would wait until they are settled before switching.  You certainly don't want diarrhea.

Once you get moved, keeping the cats in the master closet is a great idea.  You can first allow V and Demi out and see how Q reacts.  She may prefer to stay back or she too may want to explore.  You can always allow her time to explore supervised and then put her back.  Just base your decision at the time.

http://www.thecatsite.com/a/litterbox-problems-in-cats-the-ultimate-guide

• Thread Starter Thread Starter

justicereigh

TCS Member
Kitten
Purraise
Love the advice about letting Q do her thing and see what she seems to need, that's a good idea and I think I'll go with that.

I have heard great things about Feliway- probably a great early Christmas gift for kitties!

to answer your question, I have three litterboxes- one per kitty, two are multi-cat sized and one is a training box from when Q was small (she still isn't very large, I am thinking of letting this one be her private box in the master closet while the other two take the main boxes.

I appreciate your thoughts! I love my sweet kitties, it is just as much stress for them as it is us to move! They're family ;)