Moving out, don't know what to do with my cat

3lit

TCS Member
Kitten
Purraise
Hello everyone, I hope you are all doing well.

Here is my situation and i don't know what to do, any advice would help.

In about a month I'm probably going to move out 300km away(186 miles) away from where I'm currently living.

I have a 5 year old indoor cat that has never been outside ( aside from the balcony), and i would be moving to a big house with a garden. This house already has a cat and a dog. The dog is ok with the cat but whenever she sees stray cats near the house she goes crazy.

I'm afraid of two things. First , that my cat will not get along with the dog-he's never seen one-, and second, that he will escape since there's a windows always open so that the current cat in the house can go outside of the house when she pleases.

My second option would be to give him away to to someone of trust, but the thought of being away from him hurts. But I'm also afraid for him if i take him with me.
Thanks for reading, and I'd love to hear your advice or past experiences.

here is my cat

35 year catdad

TCS Member
Adult Cat
Purraise
I love that picture!! Must be right after he heard you have to move.
Ideal would be to find a neighbor close to new place that can keep him inside and with all supplies and vet covered by you, and visiting rights of course.
maybe this could be a win win win for all. I've had great luck with Craigs list for posting all sorts of things. We have to vett those who respond of course to weed out the wackos. I bet he doesn't know how to avoid cars, and all the dangers of the outside world.
I found the perfect indoor only home for my crazy Calico's two sisters on Craigs List. They were a super bonded pair with one suckling the others neck which happens when they get yanked from their Mom at 5 weeks old.
Good luck! I picture him cuddled with a lonely Senior isolated by Covid and loving him in her/his arms purring away.

rubysmama

Forum Helper
Staff Member
Forum Helper
Purraise
Awww... such a sweet kitty. Hope you can work out things at your new home so that she will be happy and safe.

Cats and dogs can live together and even become friends. You'd just have to made sure to keep your cat separated from the dog, and other cat at first, and then slowly do introductions. Here's the TCS article with more info:

How To Successfully Introduce Cats: The Ultimate Guide | TheCatSite

Best And Worst Dog Breeds To Live With Cats | TheCatSite
How To Safely Introduce A Cat And A Dog – TheCatSite Articles

And about keeping your cat from getting out, instead of keeping a window open for the resident cat to come and go, perhaps a cat flap door could be installed in a door, or even in the window. You can get some electronic ones that work via a microchip in a cat collar, so that it only opens for a specific cat. Here's one: PetSafe Interior and Exterior Cat Door - Microchip RFID Pet Door

And about the actual move, here's a couple more articles:
Traveling With Cats [Inc. 36 actionable tips] – TheCatSite Articles
How To Move With Your Cat To A New Home In A Safe Way – TheCatSite Articles

Good luck. I hope it all works out for you and your beautiful kitty. :catlove: