Moving our Stray-Will He Adjust

krz

TCS Member
Alpha Cat
Purraise
I have been caring for a stray cat for almost 2 years now. He first appeared at my husband's office and stayed in the woods. We had several attempts at trapping him, he even broke out of a drop trap, but since January he has been inside. Now he is fine, he loves attention and is content to be in. We have to move from this office to another one, it is smaller but will still be a nice place for him. He will have room to walk around, people to care for him, plenty of windows to look out of-just about everything he needs. I just can't help but worry that a move to a different location might frighten him. I would never leave him on his own again, and he would not do well in a shelter. We are blessed to be able to take him with us, and I am grateful for that. I would have gladly brought him home with me, but I am at my max for cats and I don't think he would do well with other cats. There is more traffic at the new location but everyone knows he is not to go outside and they will be careful not to let him out. He will be going to the vet for a check up and then moving to his new "home" Has anyone moved a stray from one location to another? I am really hoping that things will work out and he will have a happy life..

momofmany

TCS Member
Veteran
Purraise
If he is fully adjusted to living indoors, then moving him will be no different than moving any cat. Start with a small room so that he adjusts to his new location, and when settled in, open up more area for him to roam in.

I trapped and moved the feral colony when I moved 3 years ago. They adjusted fine after about a 30 day period of confinement before I let them back outside. It's harder to adjust them to outdoors than indoors.

• Thread Starter Thread Starter

krz

TCS Member
Alpha Cat
Purraise
Thanks! There is a small room for him to stay in for a while. Plus, with it being a holiday weekend it might be a good idea to have him there for a few days when it is quiet and he can get accustomed to his new home.