Moving mama and babies

lisab917

TCS Member
Adult Cat
Purraise
This is my last question and then I will feel ready for all this. Both of our cats like to get in the sofa. I can get them out easily if they don't come out themselves by lifting up the sofa. My question is: If Ethel chooses that place to start to give birth, even though I have made her a couple of much more appropriate places, can I move her and the whatever has been born in the middle of delivery? Like between kittens?

Thanks!

stormysmom

TCS Member
Adult Cat
Purraise
Originally Posted by LisaB917

This is my last question and then I will feel ready for all this. Both of our cats like to get in the sofa. I can get them out easily if they don't come out themselves by lifting up the sofa. My question is: If Ethel chooses that place to start to give birth, even though I have made her a couple of much more appropriate places, can I move her and the whatever has been born in the middle of delivery? Like between kittens?

Thanks!
I don't know if you are suposed to or not but my fiance did. Angie started out on her favorite chair cuddled up with her sister Stormy. My fiance saw her start to push a kitten out and he scooped her up and placed her in her box. She tried to run off at first but is staying there now without complaint. I dunno if that was a right move or not but it seemed like no harm done in our situation. good luck

gayef

TCS Member
Veteran
Purraise
It would be easier to confine her to the room where you have placed her birthing nest but if that isn't feasible, you can try to move her if she begins delivery in an inappropriate place. She ~might~ cooperate and stay where you put her, she ~might~ deliver where you put her and then move the kittens where she wants them to be when you aren't looking or she ~might~ not want any parts of the place you think is best and won't deliver there.

It has been my experience that if you sit with a girl while she is delivering, encourage and pet her, speak softly with praise and love in your voice, it really doesn't matter so much where she is, she just wants you to be nearby. Others may have different experience, but that's how it has worked for me.

• Thread Starter Thread Starter

lisab917

TCS Member
Adult Cat
Purraise
When no one is home, she stays in my room with her "nests" but when we are home we let her out so she doesn't get too bored. Since she has gotten so much more skittish today she runs to one spot in my room under my vanity which puts her 1 foot from her dog kennel "nest" so I am hoping that she has the idea.

Thanks!

ilovesiamese

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
When Yen was having her kittens, I just let her have them where she was(it was safe) and then moved them after she was done.

charmed654321

TCS Member
Alpha Cat
Purraise
If there is someplace you'd rather her not have the kittens, like inside your sofa, I'd suggest plugging up all the places she could get into, perhaps with rolled up towels or something.

As far as moving them, when Deja Vue had hers, I had a box ready right next to her (she had hers ON my sofa) with folded blankets and paper towels on top, and waited until she was done to gently move all the kittens into it. I then moved the box to a little enclosed, warm dark area of the room and she followed.

Remember that kittens need warmth; they do not generate it themselvses, so make sure the area is warm, and fairly dark, since strong light can hurt their eyes (even though they are not opened) because they are still developing.

• Thread Starter Thread Starter

lisab917

TCS Member
Adult Cat
Purraise
Thanks all! I noticed that she hasn't gotten in the sofa lately probably because she can't fit through the crack! She's been hanging out with me lately and meows me into the bedroom to lay down with her.