Moving in with my girlfriends cat

Parlormagic

TCS Member
Kitten
Purraise
Both me and my girlfriend have a cat.
Hers, a 2 year old tuxedo cat named mango that’s just happy to be around. Quiet.
Mine, a 3 1/2 year old black cat named Gracie that still has the spunk of an outdoor cat. Mischievous but kind at heart.
My girlfriend she I will be moving in together soon. Which means our cats will be meeting too. We are moving into a new space so neither cat will really have “a claim” to any of the rooms or territory yet.
I guess my question(s) is what to expect?
What to lookout for?
The do’s and dont’s.
If it’s similar to introducing a cat to a home with an existing cat or if it’s easier.
Any info greatly appreciated.

Furballsmom

Cat Devotee
Staff Member
Forum Helper
Purraise
Hi! Try swapping blankets each cat has slept on now, already, back and forth regularly. In their safe places in the new apartment (congrats!) have their favorite things out for them before you unpack anything else, and be sure nobody accidentally opens a door that has a cat behind it.

neely

May the purr be with you
Veteran
Purraise

FeebysOwner

TCS Member
Staff Member
Forum Helper
Purraise
Hi. I really can't expand on the good advice you've been given so far, but wanted to wish you luck! And, please keep us posted - as well as asking any questions you might come across when going through the introductions!! Btw, a couple of pics of these two would be nice - when you get a chance!!

susanm9006

Willow
Top Cat
Purraise
Some cats do just fine moving to a new space but some don’t and most don’t if they are meeting a new cat at the same time, so you
definitely want to start out with each in their own space. So maybe one in the bedroom and one in the another room or rest of your home with space swapping after a couple days. This gives each time to adjust to the new quarters before having to adjust to one another. Then go through the other steps of introduction as slowly as necessary.

catsknowme

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
I agree with susanm9006 susanm9006 and Furballsmom Furballsmom wholeheartedly! Cats establish territory using scent markers so swapping scents prior to the move makes sense. Also, cats in new settings prefer to have a "safe space" from which to expand territory - I liken it to explorers establishing a base camp. Small rooms with an open carrier or box are a good start. I would have both cats using their carriers and boxes in their current homes now so when the move happens, base camp will already be familiar. When you transport them, keep the carrier covered so they don't feel overwhelmed by all the strange sights & sounds. Cats like to become familiar with new surrounding via sounds and scents then sights. It is why blind cats have truly remarkable successful and fulfilling lives - I had 4 outside, totally blind ferals who thrived for years.

MT Coral

TCS Member
Kitten
Purraise
All wonderful advice above! In my many years of being owned by cats in a multi cat home, I never had any rejection problems. All my cats lived peacefully together. Some loved each other some tolerated each other. But never had any problems. Good luck to all four of you.