Moving From California To Colorado: The Age-old Question: Drive Or Fly?

KarenKat

Kitty on the half shell, tortie power!
Top Cat
Purraise
So my BF Randall and I have been thinking of moving out of the Bay Area for awhile - we want to go someplace with more space and less expensive. I just got a new job offer in the Denver area, and we will probably move at the end of March with our two fuzzies, Olive and Gohan. And we are debating if it would be best to drive them out there or fly.

I know this subject has been covered many times, but usually there is a very compelling reason against flying, such as a cat that pees in the carrier. I wondered what people thought about this particular situation. The intent is to have a vet give us sedatives in either situation.

Cats:
Olive has never moved before. She was adopted as a kitten by the renters before us and was kicked out of the house and became an outdoor cat before she was abandoned. We took her last year and she is solely indoor now. She does ok on vet trips (about 20 min max), meows a bit during the drive and recovers almost immediately coming home.

Gohan has moved a few times - he even flew from Florida to San Francisco while sedated. He is very stressed in the carrier, but he hunkers down like a stone, so in that regard he is well behaved. During vet visits and local moves he tends to just sit still, and it takes him a few hours before he will leave the carrier once we arrive. He also is used to traveling with his buddy Trin, who probably gave him a measure of comfort. With Trin gone, he will likely be more stressed.

Driving:
Pros: as frequent as we want breaks, more control, less peak stress
Cons: longer - probably 20 hours of driving over either two or three days, concern over hotel room fiascos, multiple territories for them to stay in

Flying:
Pros: short - 2.5 hour flight with 2-3 hours at the airport, more stress but a shorter period of time, no overnights
Cons: at mercy of airlines, security complications, of a cat freaks or makes a mess hard to address

Right now we are leaning toward flying, but i didn’t know if there would be a compelling reason against. Randall flew with Gohan and Trin from Florida and he said it went pretty good. Any advice?

She's a witch

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
Last year I both flew with my cats over the ocean and drove with them 12h+. Based on this experience, I would choose flying if I didn't have a strong personal preference for either way. We will be moving later this year again and we will probably drive 10h+, but it is because there are some non-cat related factors that make us choose driving. If it was for cats only, I would totally fly. The time spent in the plane was actually less stressful for my cats than the time spent in the car, the airport was the worst.

Be careful with sedatives while flying though, they can be dangerous for cats' respiratory system because of the air pressure, and some airlines will not allow sedating cats in the plane to avoid troubles.

• Thread Starter Thread Starter

KarenKat

Top Cat
Purraise
Thanks for the advice She's a witch She's a witch - we will definitely talk to the vet first to make sure it’s safe, and confirm with the airlines. Nice to hear you trip went well with the flight!

Thanks for the link neely neely !

Rhall

TCS Member
Adult Cat
Purraise
I would be so concerned with flying and their safety I know I would drive. JMHO. Would they be able to be with you or would they be in some cargo area?

• Thread Starter Thread Starter

KarenKat

Top Cat
Purraise
I would be so concerned with flying and their safety I know I would drive. JMHO. Would they be able to be with you or would they be in some cargo area?
Yeah, it’s scary both ways. I’m worried they would find some mischief in a hotel and get stuck or lost. At least a flight would be over quickly.

I would never put them in cargo. They would stay with me every step, and if someone tried to have me hand them over for cargo, or told me there was an issue and we had to do something different than keep them with us, we would leave the airport.

Also most of the bad stories I’ve hear regarding pets have been United, so we would go on Southwest.

Kat0121

TCS Member
Veteran
Purraise
I would drive too but I wouldn't do it in the winter unless whoever is driving is used to driving in that kind of weather. It can be treacherous. Expecially if you have never done it or haven't in years.

Etarre

TCS Member
Super Cat
Purraise
I have flown successfully with Gwen, who was just about the most timid, shy cat imaginable. Taking her out of the carrier at security was probably the scariest moment for both of us, but I had her on a leash so she wouldn't bolt, and it turned out that she didn't even try. Everyone at the security line and in the plane was very nice and helpful about my having an animal, and she stayed very quiet for the whole flight.

If you can get a direct flight, absolutely do so, though, because we got stuck on the runway in Dallas for a few hours during a freak thunderstorm.

Overall, I think Gwen found driving much more stressful than flying because she cries in cars, and didn't in the plane. She also seemed most stressed out by unpredictable motion in the car, whereas the plane ride was pretty smooth and didn't seem to bother her as much. She also successfully rode the subway and the Staten Island ferry, and was fine on both, whereas a city bus may have been her least favorite of our travel adventures.

So if it were me, I'd go for the shorter travel time. Most airlines allow animals in a carrier under the seat in front of you, provided the animal is an appropriate size.