Moving cats internationally

Moemah123

TCS Member
Young Cat
Purraise
My dear friend passed away and left 2 cats behind. I would adopt them but I have 2 cats of our own. I asked close friends but none expressed interest to adopt. Only one friend expressed interest but he lives in Europe. I live in Washington. I contacted a good cat company here and they will relocate cats and take care of whole process (expensive but I don't mind sharing costs) but I am deeply worried and troubled that it will be stressful, but it's either this or shelter where they may or may not get adopted. Initial call to shelters says they are busy and have wait list. My friend also wants them alot!

I am torn what is right choice here as I deeply care for those cats as my friends legacy and want to do the right thing. Please advice

Margot Lane

Kitten at heart, not a Top Cat
Top Cat
Purraise
I guess some things you have to decide are: how well will these 2 cats get along with yours? Do you have enough pet insurance and space for many cats? Do you really trust this one European friend (do they have cats too?) to be a good cat owner? Some of these questions are emotional, soul searching ones that only you can answer! (Also, if you don’t mind me asking…where in Europe?). Also, how old are the cats?

mani

Moderator and fervent feline fan
Staff Member
Purraise
I guess some things you have to decide are: how well will these 2 cats get along with yours? Do you have enough pet insurance and space for many cats? Do you really trust this one European friend (do they have cats too?) to be a good cat owner? Some of these questions are emotional, soul searching ones that only you can answer! (Also, if you don’t mind me asking…where in Europe?). Also, how old are the cats?
I'm thinking the main question here is whether the trip to Europe is the right way to go. Is that right Moemah123 Moemah123 , or are you considering all options?

• Thread Starter Thread Starter

Moemah123

TCS Member
Young Cat
Purraise
I'm thinking the main question here is whether the trip to Europe is the right way to go. Is that right Moemah123 Moemah123 , or are you considering all options?
Correct. I am good with paying for cats to move internationally. And we have a guaranteed home for them. I was asking for advice in hopes someone has gone through process before and can assure me it's gonna be fine. And to maybe open my eyes if there are different options. As I understand going through shelters I run risk of separating those 2 siblings among other possibilities

Margot Lane

Kitten at heart, not a Top Cat
Top Cat
Purraise
Oh! Sorry I asked so many questions! All I can tell you is there are airlines where you can put the cat in a carry on under the seat in front of you, but I have only done this w/ mine from the (US) West coast to the East. The only nervewracking bit was having to take the cat out of the carry on going through security, but he was very eager to get back in his bag, let me tell you. If this company you’ll be using is reliable, and has good reviews, I would not worry. Will the cats have far to go once they arrive? Am assuming the place they are going is cat proofed (ie no escape routes?). That’s what I personally would choose, rather than a shelter: at least you’d KNOW they are going to someone who would really love them.

Alldara

TCS Member
Staff Member
Forum Helper
Purraise
Sorry for your loss ❣ thank you for helping with your friends's pets. Note that if she got them from a shelter or rescue, there may be a clause in the contract that they must be returned to that rescue.

You'll have to check the destination country for protocols for companion animals. They may need vet certificates or special vaccines. There may also be a quarentine period for that country.

In some countries the quarentine period can be waived if with certificates and vaccines but in some countries it cannot. If it cannot be waived, I'd consider whether the friend will be visiting them in quarentine and what shots they'll need to prevent diseases while being boarded. It may be prudent to contact a rescue in the destination country and see what types of diseases are prevalent there to see if you can vaccinate or something against those (for ex. If boarding my cats in Canada I would want them to have the Felv vaccine).

Lastly, if you decide not to send to Europe, you could ask rescues rather than shelters to help you with rehoming. Rescues are less likely to separate bonded pairs. Here's some ideas if you must go that route:
About Us – Tails High, Inc.
Kitten & Cat Adoption Washington, DC | Crumbs & Whiskers
FFGW
Home Alone Feline Rescue