Moving cat to college with me

alex131

TCS Member
Kitten
Purraise
Hello,

I am seeking advice. I have a 1 year old female cat. I got her last January and she was very attached to me up until I moved to college in august. Since then she has been sleeping with my parents and when I come home to visit she seems uninterested in me. I still play with her and she cuddles me sometimes but I am thinking of taking her to college with me this weekend. However, I am concerned that she will have a hard time being away from my family and our family dog. I will live off-campus in an apartment. I plan on keeping her in my room and getting her toys, wall mount, etc. I plan on letting her roam the apartment while I am in the living room or cooking in the kitchen. Since I am in nursing school I will be gone half of the day but will be home all evening with her. My question is do cats have a hard time moving? Will she be depressed? I planned a trip back home for February in case things don't work out with her over there with me then I plan on bringing her back home. I am just worried she will not adjust to the move and that will stress me even more with school. Leave your opinions or suggestions below please! :)

gilmargl

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
I am sorry, but I also agree with Furballsmom Furballsmom . Your cat is happy with your parents and will certainly miss them and the dog. It will not be easy for her moving to a new apartment away from her closest contacts and having to get into a new routine with you being away working for 8 hours a day. It will be hard on you having to leave her behind, but even harder on your cat if you remove her from a happy home.
Cats are well known for being more attached to their home than to their owners. For many years, a cat kept turning up at a local surgery, her previous home. One of the employees had to regularly take her back to the family who had moved with their beloved cat to a new address, fortunately not too far away.

FeebysOwner

TCS Member
Staff Member
Forum Helper
Purraise
All of the above, if your parents are OK with that. What would be better - leave her where she is at with all her familiarities or move her and possibly find out that she would do better off where she was to begin with, meaning that you would have to upheave her yet again? Why take the chance?

When you do come home, just continue to stay connected to her. If you are home often enough, she will remember you and love the extra attention you give her when you are there.

neely

May the purr be with you
Veteran
Purraise
Welcome to TCS! :wave3: If it helps when one of our daughters went away to college she was also worried the cat and dog would not greet her the same way when she came home to visit. Fortunately they not only remembered her but carried on just as they did before she left. When we visited her for parent's weekend, etc. we would bring the dog with us which she appreciated. One thing you should consider is whether they even allow pets in your apartment at school. Regardless, I echo what the above members posted about cats being territorial and attached to their surroundings. Please let us know what you decide.

catsknowme

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
Is there any chance that you could adopt another cat from the area where you are attending school? Relocation depends upon the individual cat. I hand-raised a kitten who became an enthusiastic traveler. He loved car rides and visiting new people and places while most of my other cats are very attached to home base. I highly approve of having a little cat for companionship while you are pursuing a stressful education - nurses are true treasures