Moving An Older Cat

maurice12

TCS Member
Young Cat
Purraise
Hey guys,

I’m a very nervous cat mom today. I just moved my cat who’s lived in the same house for around 12 years. He lived there with 2 dogs who he never really seemed to get along with. I’ve been preparing for this I didn’t even move him into the new apartment until a few days after we were settled in. I’m using feliway and I gave him his own room with his food, water, and litter box all here. I’m writing this post a bit prematurely maybe because it’s only been an hour since he got here but I can’t help it I’m so nervous for my little guy and I could use any advice you have. He’s currently hiding in his crate and he’s been panting and I think crying (his eyes I just :(( I feel so sad for him) but he’s not making any noise as of right now. The car ride was only about 5 minutes long and he meowed a lot in there but now he’s gone silent. He’s always been a very anxious kitty and I was super nervous for this process but I’m just wondering what else you guys think I can do to make this huge transition easier on him. He’s an indoor cat he’s never been outside other than to see the vet.

• Thread Starter Thread Starter

maurice12

TCS Member
Young Cat
Purraise
Hi! Thanks a lot for responding!! He seems to have calmed down quite a bit now but he’s still in hiding and he won’t eat. I can tell he nibbled on his food a little last night but he hasn’t touched it since then. Should I take his crate apart and make him come out or should I just give him more time and wait for him to eat again?

Furballsmom

Cat Devotee
Staff Member
Forum Helper
Purraise
Hi!
I would wait a bit longer, since he nibbled and isnt panting anymore thats a really good sign.
Have you tried the music? He's working it all out, especially the absence of the dogs and all the new sounds and smells.

KarenKat

Kitty on the half shell, tortie power!
Top Cat
Purraise
Our 7 yr old Gohan is the same for moves ... he's a "pro" at it now, he's moved about 5 times at this point. It varied from the first one traveling across country with sedatives and a flight, to a more recent one changing apartment units in the same building. And every time is the same - he turns into stone, sits in loaf position, does not leave the carrier for a few hours after he's released. Once he feels safe leaving the carrier he hides under a couch or bed for the rest of the night.

Gohan is very very territory oriented, so moving is quite traumatic for him. It sounds like your kitty is acting fairly normally for a first big move. Give it time, let him hide where he feels safest and follow Furballsmom Furballsmom 's excellent advice for calming.

maurice12

TCS Member
Young Cat
Purraise
Yes I’ve been playing the classical harp music on low volume and I think that was definitely a factor in helping him calm down!

Furballsmom

Cat Devotee
Staff Member
Forum Helper
Purraise
Oh I'm so glad!!
Speaking of new smells etc, just to mention, if there were animals in your apartment before he's able to tell, and if there are current animals in other apartments, he can detect them.
I really do think that since he ate a little already, that is a big step in the right direction.
Leave him in his safe place, but try offering smelly things like tuna :). Just put the plate down though, don't rush him.

If you can, don't stress at all because he can detect that too. Sit with him and read some poetry, something happy. He'll be ok, he has a terrific mom :)

maurice12

TCS Member
Young Cat
Purraise
Thank you for letting me know about Gohan! He sounds just like my baby and he seems to have survived so that gives me hope! I’m just very anxious about him not eating I wish there was something I could do to help him eat more of his food but I think I just have to be patient and hope for the best.

maurice12

TCS Member
Young Cat
Purraise
Awww thank you <3 okay no stress from now on and yes I’ve been reading about the tuna helping them eat so I will for sure try that as well. I’m not sure if he misses the dogs or not but I brought a blanket to his room that one of the dogs used to be very fond of and I’ve been sprinkling it with feliway and putting it around his crate. I’m not really sure if that’s helping or not but trial and error as of right now haha. Thank you so much for all your wonderful advice!

Kflowers

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
Most of mine always found places to hide for the first three days and they moved a lot. I think it's a matter of being sure their own pride is the only one in the house. The scents of the people and animals who lived there before are all around them no matter how much the place was cleaned. So they are listening to see if anyone strange is there. Cats are good at waiting. Once he's certain it's just you and him, he'll come out.

Later if he seems to be looking for the dogs you might have them over for a play date. If nothing else you'll discover if he's missing them or not.