Moving a littebox?

loveysmummy

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
Hi
I have two male neutered cats, for those of you who don't know me...

They are my first "own" cats and so I don't know if I can move the location of the litterbox and just show them where it is?

One will stay in the regular place (hallway closet) but the other is in my bedroom and while it doesn't smell as I empty it every day, they track the litter all over the carpet...

I want to move it to the living room. But don't want to screw it up..

Kind of a silly question, but can I just move it and show them where it is?

Tx in advance!!!
Cin

yosemite

TCS Member
Veteran
Purraise
I have no ideas what the experts here will tell you, but I have always been successful moving litter boxes as long as I took the kittie to where the box was and show it to them. When we fostered a kitten for 4 days, I simply took Bijou's litter out of our bedroom (where the kittie was being kept) and moved it to the spare bedroom. I just carried Bijou in and showed him where it was and no problem.

misscharlotte

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
I know it's not exactly the same, but when I added a 2nd litter box, neither cat had a problem finding it on their own. I would think your cats shouldn't have a problem finding it. I do know that everytime I clean a litter box, I am followed. Maybe they wanted to see where it was being moved to?

jennyr

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
Same here. Just make sure that when you move it you thoroughly clean all round where it was, so that there is no smell that might attract them into using the place.

momofmany

TCS Member
Veteran
Purraise
Timely question - my husband and I just had an argument over that one. He wanted one of our litter boxes out of the guest room cause he thought it was gross to have one in there when we have overnight guests. He said just move it into the other spare bedroom (we have one there already) and I argued to inch it over to the new location.

He won the argument and we just moved it. The cats had no problems discovering that we had moved it and don't miss the old location at all.

yasmine

TCS Member
Super Cat
Purraise
Originally Posted by Momofmany

Timely question - my husband and I just had an argument over that one. He wanted one of our litter boxes out of the guest room cause he thought it was gross to have one in there when we have overnight guests. He said just move it into the other spare bedroom (we have one there already) and I argued to inch it over to the new location.

He won the argument and we just moved it. The cats had no problems discovering that we had moved it and don't miss the old location at all.
cute!!!