Moved Senior Cat To New Home - She Hasn't Left Our Room

domani

TCS Member
Young Cat
Purraise
Hello!

I had posted about moving my senior cat (17.5 years, good health) into our new home about a month or so ago. My original plan was to move her in over Christmas break, but that didn't happen. Instead, we moved our 2.5 year old cat in (that was at my BF's house). She acclimated fine, though she's driving me nuts because she's like a toddler, lol

Anyway - I took today off & moved my senior cat (Cammie) in on Saturday. I decided to move her into our bedroom so I could hang out with her. She cried for the first 10-20 minutes (& so did I), slept under the bed for a few hours, then finally slept on it. And she hasn't left the room since & has had zero interest in leaving. She's seen me walk in & out, and just goes back to sleep. I spent most of today out of the room to see if she would cry, but she didn't.

I assume this is because she feels safe. She has very limited hearing left & used to be extremely vocal at my parent's house, maybe because she was disoriented. Even there, she mostly stayed in my bedroom & the room across the hall.

I don't really mind this, except I would prefer not to have the litter box in here, especially because she urinates a lot & doesn't always cover it (as I'm typing this, an awful odor is coming from the box since she just used it) And, since she hasn't met the young cat, my boyfriend's been sleeping on the futon to keep the young cat company.

So, I'm not really sure what to do. I don't want to force her to see the rest of the house if she's not interested. But, I feel I need to at least introduce the cats to make things a little less complicated. And would it hurt to try to show her the adjacent room where we have another box set up? My hope would be she would go between rooms, but not explore the rest of the house if she didn't feel comfortable.

Furballsmom

Cat Devotee
Staff Member
Forum Helper
Purraise
It probably wouldn't hurt to show her where the other box is, but in the meantime could you obtain one of those automatic litter boxes?

• Thread Starter Thread Starter

domani

TCS Member
Young Cat
Purraise
It probably wouldn't hurt to show her where the other box is, but in the meantime could you obtain one of those automatic litter boxes?
Oh duh! That’s a great idea, so long as she takes to it. I didn’t even get a new box or switch out the litter because I was so worried about her going on the bed or something. I know how sensitive cats can be to litter changes.

The other boxes in the house are modified because the young cat has nerve damage in her back legs and needs low entrance & mess prevention :cringe: so as long as she’s not using it, it should help us out. Thanks!

susanm9006

Willow
Top Cat
Purraise
If she likes to be held you can try putting her on your shoulder and walking slowly through your apartment . If she starts to be frightened and wants down then straight to her safe room but perhaps with you holding her she might settle in for a tour,

Kflowers

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
If you don't try putting at least 4-5 inches of litter in her box. Our cat's box is in the bedroom too. We use Dr. Elsey's clumping litter. I'm rather sensitive (drive everyone else crazy) to smells and I've never noticed the urine smell. Sometimes there is a waft after she poops, but once she buries it goes away. You might want to clean the box a couple of times a day to help with the smell.

But I'm a little surprised that a female cat's urine smells strong enough to disturb you. Have you considered taking a sample of it to her vet? I know this is a terrible time to take her to the vet. Perhaps get some beads like you put in fish tanks and use them instead of litter the day you want to collect the sample. Then switch back to her regular litter before you take the sample to the vet. Because cats really hate change and she's had enough for awhile.