Moved away and now my cat hates me

Jross

TCS Member
Kitten
Purraise
Hi all, new member and new post, looking for some help.

I moved away from my parents home three years ago. We have 2 cats - Roxie and Molly. I live close by and visit 2-3 times per week, so I have remained very present in their lives.

Roxie has always remained loving and affectionate with me, just as before. Molly, on the other hand, started being very distant shortly after I moved out. Then i adopted another cat, Munchie who lives at my apartment.

Now, Molly hisses and runs away from me (I am assuming due to Munchie's scent). I can't come anywhere near her and it breaks my heart.

I mean, she was never super affectionate to begin with. But she would at least sit with me, let me pet her, etc.

Does anyone have any advice? Anything I can try to engage with her?

FeebysOwner

TCS Member
Staff Member
Forum Helper
Purraise
Hi and Welcome! You could also try to rub your hands with a cloth or towel that has Molly's scent on it before you reach out to her with some treats perhaps? If Roxie and Molly get along well, you might even try using Roxie's scent before approaching Molly.

Or, check out this TCS article and see if there are any ideas in it that you might want to try.
14 Cat Experts Reveal: How To Get A Cat To Like Me

Last edited:

rubysmama

Forum Helper
Staff Member
Forum Helper
Purraise
Hello and welcome to TCS. I'm guessing you're right, and it's Munchie's scent that is causing Molly to run from you. I'll also suggest treats - something super yummy that she only gets when you come to visit.

We'd love to hear more about Munchie, btw. As well as Roxy and Molly. So if you like, you can formally introduce yourself in our New Cats on the Block forum.

canucksfan1

TCS Member
Young Cat
Purraise
yeah man thats a thing folks dont realize is cats are super emotional and they take stuff hard, get slighted over small stuff, that angry woman cat meme is what my cat does if shes not counted too
that cat meme face my baby gives me if at say family Christmas everyone gets gifts but her, no joke she 1 yr grabbed her stocking off the wall all POd making a statement an dragged it to her fav place then came back running up the tree knocking it down lol
that cat meme face is what she had allday long bros
hope she forgives u n lets you be like it used to be eh