Move Her Now or Later?

duckdodgers

TCS Member
Alpha Cat
Purraise
In a little over two weeks I will be moving about 4 hours away back to where I am from and my parents live.  It goes without saying that the kitties as well as the other critters will be moving with me to my new home.  I'm driving down there this weekend to take care of some business and move a few things, including my ferrets who will be saying with a friend for that period.  I'm contemplating the idea of moving Alafair (my 17 year old Russian Blue girl) to my parents' house then, but I'm trying to weigh the pros and cons to decide what will be best for her.  It's either take her to my parents' house tomorrow and then move her to my new house in two weeks, or keep her here to move her, Stella, and the others to the new house the same day as all of my stuff. 

There are a few reasons that I'm thinking about it.  The first is so that there is one less thing to worry about when moving my life and my animals.  I moved Alafair here initially with my stuff, and I've made the trip with both cats numerous times, but never both cats AND my belongings to a completely new place.  Alafair was very ticked off with me when I put her in the car for four hours and then threw her in a completely new surrounding, but she got over it after a couple of days.  It seems that it may be easier on her to bring her to my mom and dad, and then move her to the new house after only a 15 minute car ride.  Also, I will be having movers helping me load up my stuff.  There will be people coming in and out of my apartment, and while I can move all of my stuff out of the bathroom and lock Stella in there, Alafair would have to be confined to the laundry "room".  I use the term room loosely because it is mostly a little space with about two feet of floor, then the washer and dryer.  It's also less space in my car that I would need to devote to a carrier, though that's the least of the concerns.

The reasons why I am thinking maybe it's not the best idea is that it is another stop for her to be tossed around in her old age.  My parents' house is a familiar place, but she is always a bit unsettled for the first evening after the long car ride before settling in.  The other is that she will be away from Stella for two weeks.  Stella is my 7 month old kitten, and she is not particularly fond of Stella.  She has spent periods this long with little Stella contact when at my parents house (my parents do not want Stella to roam the home so she must be confined to the bedroom), but I do make some interactions occur every couple of days in that situation.  Would keeping them apart for that time period cause more animosity to occur between the cats?  More so than moving them both to the new home at the same time?

Anyway, that is the question and those are my concerns either way.  What would you do?

three cat night

TCS Member
Adult Cat
Purraise
Isn't moving just so fun? Ha. I would move them both to your parents while all the commotion , doors being left open, loud noises etc is going on. No matter what you do they will get stressed, but at least you can set up everything in your new house for them and bring them in to their new environment. This might be less stress for your Alafair, and for you .

• Thread Starter Thread Starter

duckdodgers

TCS Member
Alpha Cat
Purraise
Isn't moving just so fun? Ha. I would move them both to your parents while all the commotion , doors being left open, loud noises etc is going on. No matter what you do they will get stressed, but at least you can set up everything in your new house for them and bring them in to their new environment. This might be less stress for your Alafair, and for you .
I wouldn't be able to bring Stella to my parents' house this weekend.  Well, I'm sure they wouldn't kick her out or anything, but she would be stuck in my old bedroom upstairs with almost no interaction for two weeks.  It's not in her best interest for the poor kitten to only have interaction when she is fed and when my mom decides to play with her.  I don't blame my parents for that as my kitten is not their responsibility.  Rest assured she will be locked in the empty bathroom with me guarding the door. 

And yeah, moving rocks
  Especially when there are animals involved- two cats, two ferrets, fish, a gecko, and a short tailed opossum to be specific.  The good news is that I'm upgrading from a one bedroom apartment to a two bed/2.5 bath townhouse style.  I think that everyone will be much happier with the extra space and nicer features!  There's even a bricked in patio in the back that I may be able to let the cats and ferrets out onto.  I just need to analyze the situation to see if the wall will be a sufficient fortress to prevent escape.

MoochNNoodles

TCS Member
Veteran
Purraise
My personal opinion is that two moves and separation from Stella would be 3 hard things to take in a short period of time.  Alafair will pick up different scents from your parents house and that alone can cause animosity between them.  And if things are already a bit tense; this might not be  any help.  I have learned that it is always "easier" to do vet visits for my 2 at the same time.  Not always "hiss free" afterward; but easier!

When we moved we only went about 30 minutes from our old place to the new; so we were able to move Mooch and Noodles here together and lock them in a bedroom with some familiar things.  We literally locked the door so no one would accidentally let them out.  (But they were hiding in their cube toy anyway.)  You could try posting a sign on the door where you have them while the movers are doing their job.  I have used towels over the girls kennels to make it more cave like.  It seems to help calm them some.

Good luck with your move!!

• Thread Starter Thread Starter

duckdodgers

TCS Member
Alpha Cat
Purraise
Well, when I spoke to my father on Thursday night he said that he didn't particularly want either cat at his house.  I think that he would have been willing to house her, but I decided to just keep her here.

I find it kind of sad that he seemed so against our family cat of 17 years staying at the house for a couple of weeks, but it is his house and she is my cat now.  He's more of an "outside cat person"- hence his love of Jason Cat.

three cat night

TCS Member
Adult Cat
Purraise
Well whatever decision you make I hope everything works out, and just judging by your concern for everybody involved I am sure you will be successful, good luck!