Mother Hissing At Kittens

Hal

TCS Member
Kitten
Purraise
So the mother cat had kittens so I brought 2 with the mom to a new home and 2 weeks later I brought another kitten from her litter to my new home with the other kittens and now the mother is hissing at all 3 of her kittens what do I do ?

FeebysOwner

TCS Member
Staff Member
Forum Helper
Purraise
Someone else will come along with more experience than I have, but until they do, how old are the kittens now? 3 weeks? Where has the other kitten been? Odds are you have 'contaminated' the 2 kittens with the unfamiliar smells of the 3rd kitten, causing her to reject all 3. I take it she has stopped nursing all of them? If I am wrong, please clarify what is going on.

You can try taking a towel and rubbing the mama with it and then rubbing all 3 kittens with the same towel, to see if you can transfer her scent to them. If that is unsuccessful, you can try removing the 3rd kitten (and letting who ever was taking care of it continue to do so), repeating the towel rub with the original two and see if mama accept them that way. If that doesn't work, you need to be prepared to remove all of the kittens from her and start feeding them yourself.

If the latter becomes the case, see if the web site link below will help you with their care. Lots of information about feeding and other care related issues, and includes time lines for all of it.

Also, from Furballsmom Furballsmom (I presume this is not an issue with 3+ week old kittens) -
Take a little vanilla extract:
"You put a dab of vanilla extract under the chins, at the base of their neck (by the spine) and at the base of the tail (on the spine not the underside of the tail!) of all of the cats to make them smell the same. Cats recognize each other by scent, so if that kitty smells the same as "me", the he must be a friend. Kitty logic at it's finest.

Kitten-Rescue.com

Furballsmom

Cat Devotee
Staff Member
Forum Helper
Purraise

jcat

Mo(w)gli's can opener
Veteran
Purraise
How old are these babies? I am thinking that because the litter was split up that they may be older?
:yeah: If they're more than a month or so old, mom might be weaning them, i.e., hissing to stop them from nursing. If they're still nursing, make sure to have her teats checked out. An infection could also cause her to hiss at them due to pain.