Mother And Kittens

runningmatches123

TCS Member
Kitten
Purraise
Hello I have a 1 year old cat that gave birth six weeks ago. I have noticed lately that she’s been hitting and hissing at her kittens. It looks pretty violent and everyone in my household is pretty shocked. Is this normal behavior? The kittens are still drinking her milk, maybe it could be that.

susanm9006

Lola
Top Cat
Purraise
It seems early to me but I guess some cats start weaning their kittens as early as four weeks. The kittens are old enough for kitten food so I would definitely start them on it and start checking their weights to make sure they are all still gaining. If not you may need to supplement with bottles for a few weeks.

I would also talk with your vet to get a spay set up for mom as soon as he thinks it can be done.

war&wisdom

TCS Member
Super Cat
Purraise
A bit early, but if she's gone into heat (and there are "silent heats") or is about to, she may be moving them along so that she'll have resources for the next litter. Are you planning to get her spayed once the kittens are weaned?

StefanZ

Advisor
Staff Member
Advisor
Purraise
Agree with both above.

Are her teats ok?
It may also be mastitis or them having teeths now are biting her when suckling...