Most palatable l lysine supplement?

newmamaof3

TCS Member
Alpha Cat
Purraise
Anyone have a preference as to a good l-lysine supplement that your cats don't seem to notice when added to wet food? I've tried several and my cats turn their noses up at any food when I add them. Suggestions on one that has little to no flavor?

2cats4me

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
Anyone have a preference as to a good l-lysine supplement that your cats don't seem to notice when added to wet food? I've tried several and my cats turn their noses up at any food when I add them. Suggestions on one that has little to no flavor?
This is the one I use  . It is pure Lysine . The  only taste it has is a bit of a salty flavor . It is fine mixed with wet food . My cats do not seem to notice . Due to the salty taste you should start out with a small amount and work your way to the desired amount to get your cats used to it ..

http://www.swansonvitamins.com/now-...GOqQTEx44C-mKA7PyYZ7wCBMmpJvy8APpoaAtaD8P8HAQ

fluffscruff

TCS Member
Young Cat
Purraise
I've been trying to figure this out myself. I used to give them the Whole Foods store brand, which they didn't notice at all, but it wasn't pure l-lysine (had some rice flour and another ingredient). So I switched to the NOW brand and they walk away from their food if it's mixed in. I just decided to feed them l-lysine separately with water or broth and give them a treat afterwards for being troopers.

snugglecat

TCS Member
Super Cat
Purraise
When you find a good one that cats won't notice let me know. I have been giving mine L-lysine on and off for 4 years and now 6 cats refuse to eat the food with L-lysine in it. I have already tried the NOW L-lysine and a couple others, it's a no go to all of them.

They are feral so vet won't give me anything for them.

• Thread Starter Thread Starter

newmamaof3

TCS Member
Alpha Cat
Purraise
Thanks all! Will let you all know when we find one that goes unnoticed! Currently using viralys gel by syringe which is not a long term solution imo.

fluffscruff

TCS Member
Young Cat
Purraise
I'm still experimenting with it myself. I tried giving my kitties l-lysine chews and that's the most readily that I've ever seen them take lysine. Though, one of my kitties, the one with the more sensitive stomach, regurgitated it once because I gave it to her on an empty stomach, in between meal times. So, I try to give it to them right after meals, but also, I'm looking for different brands of lysine treats in case it was the brand's ingredients that caused her to regurgitate it. I've more or less given up adding it to their wet food. I think it was also causing my kitties and I unnecessary stress about if they were going to eat this meal or if I'd have to coax them to eat or open up a different can, etc.. I've also tried adding some l-lysine powder into chicken broth, and conveniently, the powder dissolves right away into the broth (unlike water, where I'd have to stir it right away or it becomes a brittle crystal layer). But they don't drink it all in one sitting, so it difficult to see who is drinking how much.

newmamaof3

TCS Member
Alpha Cat
Purraise
Nope. Tried the GNC pet lysine chews...only one out of five will eat them...one out of 5 likes the viralys gel and I haven't found a powder that any will take.

rooneyandmuldoo

TCS Member
Young Cat
Purraise
Thanks, fluffscruff. That's a good idea about the chicken broth. I will look into that. Be sure it doesn't have any onion or garlic in it. I have also been thinking about trying tuna packed in oil or even anchovies (yuk!). One cat really needs the lysine, as his eyes are always really goopy. I'm determined!

And thanks, Misty8723. I was looking at that, and think I will try it if it worked for you.

Last edited:

fluffscruff

TCS Member
Young Cat
Purraise
Oh yes, the chicken broth I made was based on these instructions from a vet: 1st round, boil whole chicken until meat slides off the bone. 2nd round, boil the bones and fat for 24 hours. :) Though, I initially had made it when my kitty wasn't feeling well, not to help feed them lysine, but whatever works. I try not to feed it to them everyday because I'm worried they'll get a bit too squishy.

Last edited:

kittens mom

Kittens life was lost to a negligent veterinarian.
Top Cat
Purraise
Thanks all! Will let you all know when we find one that goes unnoticed! Currently using viralys gel by syringe which is not a long term solution imo.
That's what I use. Once a day I put some on my finger and put it on the roof of my cats mouth. The gel is gone. they can't spit it out. Half the time they'll lick it off my finger. Adding anything to either of their food dishes is instant rejection. I've then wasted two cans of food and the medication.

jennyr

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
In my experience, there is no 'one solution fits all'. Some of my cats love the sardine flavour of Enisyl lysine paste, some love the little chews, others are easy to pill with lysine tablets. I have never had much luck with the powders, they all seem to know and avoid the food.

mollyblue

TCS Member
Super Cat
Purraise
In my experience, there is no 'one solution fits all'. Some of my cats love the sardine flavour of Enisyl lysine paste, some love the little chews, others are easy to pill with lysine tablets. I have never had much luck with the powders, they all seem to know and avoid the food.
yep, I think its better just to find the lesser of the evils and get it over with!  for Snowy, its the maple flavored viralys gel.

newmamaof3

TCS Member
Alpha Cat
Purraise
Agreed! All cats are so different in heir preferences! The gel and treats are what we will stick with for now and use the gel for some and the treats for others. My sweet Layla seems to change her preference daily. She is my "yes means no" cat!