most common breeds in US?

loribeth

TCS Member
Adult Cat
Purraise
Since I'm fairly new here & not eligible to post in the breeders/show board yet, I though I would ask here.  What are the most common 'registered' breeds in the US?  I find myself very intrigued by certain breeds & perhaps in the future might want to seek one out. But then I read that this breed or that breed is 'rare' ...such as the Russian Blue or Chartreux ... are they really hard to find? TY

StefanZ

Advisor
Staff Member
Advisor
Purraise
RB isnt that rare, Chartreux is more rare, as I understand it.   Everybody has heard speak about Chartreux, as they are in every book about cat breeds. But few have them actually.  Not even in France their country of ascension, are they common.  So tells us our forumists living there.

Saying a breed is rare depends on.   If somebody comes here with a blue cat found as a kitten on the street, yes we tell RB and Chartreux are rare, the chance of this cat being a purebred, although a decent look alike, that chance is slim.

More than null, I know of examples of purebred RB whom disappeared during transportation.  Or when visiting a stud for mating (and this example would produce purebred kittens on the street, unless the queen got adopted by someone, OR died off before.  A inside only cat suddenly on the street most often perishes, if nobody helps it)..

So - a slim chances. This being a grey look alike a lot more probable.

But among  the purebreds, RB isnt that rare, although there are more popular breeds.

Let me guess:   Maine Coon.  Bengal.  Persian.  Siamese. Ragdoll.  American Shorthair. Oriental.  Birman.  RB.  British shorthair.  Norwegian. Burmanese.

The 5 first probably the commonest making the bulk of the purebreds in the USA.

• Thread Starter Thread Starter

loribeth

TCS Member
Adult Cat
Purraise
TY!  I also love the look of the British Shorthair ...I see them represented as the silver/grey/blue ...do they have coat variations?  There is something about that thick plush grey/blue coat that attracts me ...and the personality traits listed for this breed as well the RB sound like my kinda cat ...of course I realize descriptions are generalizations & there are always variations.

Last edited:

StefanZ

Advisor
Staff Member
Advisor
Purraise

TY!  I also love the look of the British Shorthair ...I see them represented as the silver/grey/blue ...do they have coat variations?  There is something about that thick plush grey/blue coat that attracts me ...and the personality traits listed for this breed as well the RB sound like my kinda cat ...of course I realize descriptions are generalizations & there are always variations.
although the personality of  RB and British are quite different.  The one sleek, active, excellent jumper, runner, and the other rounded, not so gymnasic.

You perhaps want to look into the Korat breed.  Rarer than the RB. You can sometimes be unsure which is which, especielly young korats may be RB alike.    Somewhat more muscled, somewhat more square in appareance than RB, not quite as sleek.   a wonderful breed them too.

Green eyes and silvery grey fur them too.

Last edited:
  • Thread Starter Thread Starter

loribeth

TCS Member
Adult Cat
Purraise
TY for the info!  Much appreciated!