Mortite Rope Caulking: Any Experiences?

bunnelina

TCS Member
Alpha Cat
Purraise
We live in a drafty old apartment, so every winter I caulk our windows and cracks along the bathroom floor with Mortite rope caulk. Yesterday, I found a short length of it in the kitchen. I don't caulk in there, so I assumed one of the kittens dragged it there. I couldn't tell where it came from. I also found some tiny bits of it on the floor. Yikes.

This morning I found more caulk in the kitchen and figured out that Possum was pulling it from a crack along our bathroom floor. I pulled all of it up and got rid of it.

I called the vet and the Mortite company, and determined that the stuff is "non-toxic." The chief ingredient is titanium dioxide. I'm on the watch for vomiting, lethargy and problems in the litter box. So far, we're okay.

So I'm wondering: has anyone here had experience with cats getting into this stuff? I also wonder how long I'll need to keep an eye on the kittens in case any of it was eaten and causes problems. (Not that I EVER stop watching and worrying over the cats!). Thanks!

farleyv

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
I use what they call "fingertip caulk". It is less than 1/4 in in diameter and is grey. It comes all coiled up and seperates in long strands. Is that like what you use.

I use it on the windows and have found some of it pulled out. Beeba is the culprit. No probs with him though. I would not use it on the floor though. I'd be more inclined to use duct tape and then put a throw rug over the area.

It like they follow us around and undo everything we try to do!

• Thread Starter Thread Starter

bunnelina

TCS Member
Alpha Cat
Purraise
Originally Posted by farleyv

I use what they call "fingertip caulk". It is less than 1/4 in in diameter and is grey. It comes all coiled up and seperates in long strands. Is that like what you use.

I use it on the windows and have found some of it pulled out. Beeba is the culprit. No probs with him though. I would not use it on the floor though. I'd be more inclined to use duct tape and then put a throw rug over the area.

It like they follow us around and undo everything we try to do!
Yep, that sounds like the same stuff. I'm thinking I'll either put down silicone caulking, assuming I can get it DEEP into the floor cracks so nobody can get at it. Or try weather-stripping tape, although Possum might find that tasty, too.

Cat.mama

TCS Member
Adult Cat
Purraise
Hi just curious if your kitties were okay. I just found out one of my cats, not sure which has been eating the Mortite cord weatherstripping off the baseboard. I found a small spot of gray vomit in the kitchen. I’m not sure how much they ate or which of the three cats it was.