More Trouble With Cystitis And Odd Side Effects

laurainthesky

TCS Member
Young Cat
Purraise
So, my buddy was pretty severely blocked back in September. We've switched him to canned food, we thought this were going well. Last Thursday he started demonstrating his behavior where he was constantly squatting but not going. We got him in to the vet the next day.

Doc says he's not blocked but he is infected. They gave him a big shot of antibiotics and subcutaneous injection. He also got a 10 day sample of transdermal Prozac and about a month of c/d and s/d hills diet.

The new concern is this: every since Saturday morning we noticed one eye is squinted and the third eyelid is showing. We tried to Google it and got everything from, he's likely sick and in pain, to he's relaxed. He seems lethargic which I keep reminding my worried teenage daughter that he is on meds. I will call the vet tomorrow and see what they say but I always like to here the opinions of all you fine folk. Any thoughts?

Wile

Opener of cans
Alpha Cat
Purraise
Hi laurainthesky. It's good that you are phoning your vet tomorrow. My best guess is that your buddy's lethargy might be a side effect from the prozac. Antidepressants and anti anxiety meds can cause drowsiness and sluggish thinking. Is he going to be on the meds long term? Often the side effects disappear as the body adjusts to the dosage.

mrsgreenjeens

Every Life Should Have Nine Cats
Staff Member
Advisor
Purraise
laurainthesky laurainthesky , did you call your Vet? What did they say? Prozac definitely can have side effects, but what you are describing is a new one to me.

:vibes::vibes::vibes:for your boy. Cystitis is not fun :frown:

FeralHearts

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
I have no idea about the eye issue and a vet visit / call sounds in order for sure.

I just went through an infection with my Charlie. I was lucky - no blockage. He had blood and e-coli and infection. 2 weeks of antibiotics did nothing. He ended up on another 6 weeks. When he was on the antibiotics for the 6 week the vet also recommended UroMAXX. Apparently it helps get rid of the sludge that surrounds areas and helps the antibiotic get into them. I really think it helped Charlie.

When you are speaking to the vet, ask if they think this might help your kitty too.

1 bruce 1

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
Did the vet give a reason as to why he's on prozac when he's got bladder inflammation?

Wile

Opener of cans
Alpha Cat
Purraise
Did the vet give a reason as to why he's on prozac when he's got bladder inflammation?
Sometimes anti-anxiety medications are prescribed for interstitial cystitis when it is brought on by stress. I think it is called pandora syndrome.

• Thread Starter Thread Starter

laurainthesky

TCS Member
Young Cat
Purraise
The vet said it was just a stress response. And he said I should put the Prozac on the ear on the same side. I asked if he could/should be on pain meds and they said they'd call back. They didn't, so I will follow up. We have just been trying to reduce his stress any way we can think of.

1 bruce 1

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
Sometimes anti-anxiety medications are prescribed for interstitial cystitis when it is brought on by stress. I think it is called pandora syndrome.
I had no idea!! This is why I never wanted to be any kind of doctor, you gotta be smart. :D
laurainthesky laurainthesky I certainly hope he improves. When they feel bad, we feel bad too. Maybe the vet will have an idea or will adjust his dosage or something, just hope he gets back to better than normal very soon. :wave3:

• Thread Starter Thread Starter

laurainthesky

TCS Member
Young Cat
Purraise
I had no idea!! This is why I never wanted to be any kind of doctor, you gotta be smart. :D
laurainthesky laurainthesky I certainly hope he improves. When they feel bad, we feel bad too. Maybe the vet will have an idea or will adjust his dosage or something, just hope he gets back to better than normal very soon. :wave3:
Doc doesn't think the pain meds are needed because he's not blocked. But he did adjust the prozac dose. He seems a little better today so i guess i'm just overreacting. I just need my bud to feel better.

1 bruce 1

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
Doc doesn't think the pain meds are needed because he's not blocked. But he did adjust the prozac dose. He seems a little better today so i guess i'm just overreacting. I just need my bud to feel better.
No, not overreacting, you're being observant and conscious of potential problems which is what a responsible pet owner does. :wave3:
I'm glad he's improving!!