More Than 1 Month Of Antibiotic Treatment

TwinkleStarrr

TCS Member
Kitten
Purraise
Hello Everyone
I would like to ask for your thoughts regarding the treatment on my cat Smokey.
Previously, I have shared with you about Smokey being hospitalized because of urinary blockage and discharged after catheterized and hydrated. After he was discharged, he was on oral antibiotics (Unasyn - Sultamicillin Suspension), his diet changed to Royal Canin SO, he had follow up check ups and his urine was checked for 4 times now since he was discharged always still with bacteria. The vet continued same antibiotic (Unasyn).
Today, I brought his urine to the vet and results came still positive with bacteria. The vet planned on giving Convenia but I read from other threads that this antibiotic is not completely safe. Has anyone experienced the same problem with me. Should I go with the treatment plan?
Thank you in advance for your insights.

jen

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
I would do Convenia. You can't keep them on the same abx forever or they will build immunuty. Every clinic I have worked at used Convenia and maybe once someone had a bad reaction but I can't even recall. Convenia is very convenient :lol:

Noirele

TCS Member
Adult Cat
Purraise
Hello,
every antibiotic is potentially dangerous. To be honest, every medicine could be.
If we decide to use a drug, it's because the benefit are way greater than the average side effects. Do not worry too much about the therapy: the goal now is to resolve the uti. Anyway, they could do an antibiotic sensitivity test to identify the best treatment. I am not sure why vets rarely do it, with human is common practice for stubborn utis (or maybe they did it already, in that case you can be even more confident).

FeebysOwner

TCS Member
Staff Member
Forum Helper
Purraise
Hi. When they test Smokey for an infection are they doing an urinalysis AND a culture? The culture part, as Noirele Noirele mentioned above, entails a sensitivity test which identifies the specific bacteria and then addresses what antibiotic would be most effective in treating it.

Feeby initially was put on Clavamox, but the UTI persisted. After the urine culture was done, she was placed on Orbax, as the Clavamox was not the most effective for her specific bateria. Once she received the Orbax, the UTI was cleared.

• Thread Starter Thread Starter

TwinkleStarrr

TCS Member
Kitten
Purraise
FeebysOwner FeebysOwner I'm pretty sure they are just doing urinalysis. My vet hasn't really mentioned about urine CS. You are right, I think it's the best way to identify the exact organism, I'm just not sure if they are practicing it here in my country though.
I'll ask about it in the morning when we will bring Smokey back to the clinic.