More questions about getting a 2nd cat - previous topic included

allenboy

TCS Member
Young Cat
Purraise
Hi everyone!So if you want a short backstory, I moved in the middle of May from Ohio to SC. With the help of the Prozac, Allen handled the 8+ hour drive and overnight hotel stay like a CHAMP. The Prozac has really done wonders for his anxiety and nervousness, and he's still got little more than a month supply left. I have a new vet that is just across the street from my apartment and I may continue him on the Prozac.http://www.thecatsite.com/t/258471/...neral-and-specific-questions-scratching-etcOn Friday my sister got her new kitten as a buddy to her neutered, declawed male Goose. The cute pictures she insists on sending me (which I wish she wouldn't, I'm already so tempted) have really started me thinking that it may be time to get Allen a little brother or sister, and I was bad and visited the local Petco/Petsmart on their adoption day. Bad, bad.1) To my pleasure, the 7' x 9'2" sunroom in my apartment is tiled, not carpeted, and right now it only has cat related items in it, like the tiny cat tree, Allen's toys, etc. I'm thinking it would make a great cat aviary, with dual use for the Christmas tree once a year. This could solve one of my concerns about where I would put a second litter box. I have a cheap $10 Ikea table that I could enclose with a fabric curtain on 2 sides and put a single tray underneath it, which would be good for a kitten and Allen.2) I have some other options as to what I could do for the introduction period of the new cat.a. If I get a kitten, one that is too young to initially put the SoftPaws or other claw covers on, I would ideally like to be able to keep the kitten contained as I work a normal 8-5ish job M-F. Has anyone gotten a large dog crate and kept a kitten contained that way while they are not home to supervise? One that is big enough for the little box, bed, toys, etc.? http://thumbs2.ebaystatic.com/d/l225/m/mjV3vWFkdZ_e1LrBY-NrPMg.jpgb. My second bedroom has an attached bathroom, which has a second door and serves as the main bath. I can easily keep the bathroom and second bedroom closed off to the main area, and have that be the initial 'holding' area for the new cat until current and newbie are slowly introduced.One hangup is that the bed in the second bedroom is where Allen usually spends his days, as evidenced by the huge amount of cat hair on the daybed comforter, lol. But if it's only temporary, he might be okay.IF this happens, it will still likely be in the fall so I still have a couple of months to ponder it.

Last edited:

catspaw66

TCS Member
Veteran
Purraise
Are you sure that you want to introduce a second cat into Allen's world, considering that he is already taking Prozac? Please think very carefully about this. If you adopt another kitten, what happens if Allen won't accept it? Take it back? When you adopt an animal, you take responsibility for it for as long as it lives.

• Thread Starter Thread Starter

allenboy

TCS Member
Young Cat
Purraise
Are you sure that you want to introduce a second cat into Allen's world, considering that he is already taking Prozac? Please think very carefully about this. If you adopt another kitten, what happens if Allen won't accept it? Take it back? When you adopt an animal, you take responsibility for it for as long as it lives.
So where in my post did you get this impression? If I believed that, I would have given Allen back to the rescue the first time he peed on my bed. I have my challenges with him, and I've spent the time and resources working to solve those challenges so he can live a happier life with me. So thank you for your opinion, but please believe me when I say that I do not take pet ownership lightly.Given how well I know this cat, I can't help but feel that a more confident, outgoing companion could, with the correct introduction, be very good for him.

catspaw66

TCS Member
Veteran
Purraise
I just took the tone of your other post and this one and evidently came up with the wrong impression. I read 300 or so posts a day and respond to 15-30 of them. Sometimes I come up with good advice and sometimes I strike out. This one gets a K. But please, consider everything before you get Allen a companion. Yes, the right cat can cause him to come out of his shell.

Last edited:
  • Thread Starter Thread Starter

allenboy

TCS Member
Young Cat
Purraise
I really do appreciate your insight, and I definitely don't want my posts to come off like I'm getting a 2nd cat just for the heck of it. Like I said, if this happens it will be in the fall (October or maybe November so I could spend the holiday getting the cat adjusted) so I'm trying to look at this situation from all angles. Getting perspective from long-time members on this board should help me cover all bases, so thank you :)

catspaw66

TCS Member
Veteran
Purraise
i just wish other people would give their feedback. More than one opinion would be better for you. I hope you do get a companion for Allen. I have always thought that every cat needs at least one snuggle-buddy.

peaches08

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
I think having two cats is a great idea. I ended up getting 3 at once and have never regretted it. They love me and want my attention, but when I'm not here they have each other.